Cooking/Food thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think most folks' recipe for CFS starts with "get in your car and drive the most direct route to ******** (fill in favorite CFS restaurant)" but it's possible there are a few here willing to go the DIY route in order to achieve culinary Nirvana. The thing is that it's not just about the CFS, the cream gravy is equally critical to the proper experience. Throw in the extended discussion on the proper sides to present with the CFS (various greens, beans, fried okra, potatoes in various forms, etc.) and you've got a reason for nearly an entire website, not just a forum thread.

Amen! ...the cream gravy is absolutely the crowning top of any chicken fry worth it's name. Legends in OKC (formerly KD's ) is purty darn good. I'll have the mashed potatoes and fried okra with it please. Oh, and some extra gravy too?

Dangdar

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
John Wayne Cornbread

Here's a recipe I've been making from memory for the last couple of years (think the wife through out the cookbook)

Mix two boxes of Jiffy per the instructions. In a seperate bowl mix up:

4-6 slices crispy bacon crumbled
Diced jalapenos or chiles (to taste)
One can creamed corn
One cup cheddar cheese

Pour half of the cornbread mixture in a 9x12 pan, then pour in the bacon cheese corn mixture. Cover with remaining cornbread mixture. Bake per Jiffy instuctions or till brown on top. Pretty good stuff!

Mos Eisley

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think most folks' recipe for CFS starts with "get in your car and drive the most direct route to ******** (fill in favorite CFS restaurant)" but it's possible there are a few here willing to go the DIY route in order to achieve culinary Nirvana. The thing is that it's not just about the CFS, the cream gravy is equally critical to the proper experience. Throw in the extended discussion on the proper sides to present with the CFS (various greens, beans, fried okra, potatoes in various forms, etc.) and you've got a reason for nearly an entire website, not just a forum thread.

Can you believe the wife said she'd do *anything* for me if I got even close to her Auntie's gravy with that meal!?! The gravy and sides are a given for me...no big deal. If you got good meat, you got great gravy.

BTW, I figured out the only way I'll ever get great CFS is to make my own cubed steak out of great cuts of meat. Those (automated) kitchen gadgets are quite expensive though. Anyone have experience with the manual ones?

trickormate

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Juevos Rancheros.

Make 2 over easy eggs.
2 corn tortillas and gentle fry them on a pan in oil. ( Don't over do it and make the tortilla hard)
Get some refried beans and spread them on the tortillas once been gently fried.
Put your over easy eggs on top of tortillas.
Add shredded cheese, a little sour cream and top it off with salsa.

And enjoy.

Attachments

• images (1).jpg
    images (1).jpg
    7.1 KB · Views: 189
  • 38752f19868ed97fd4dbb0255e82c2e5.jpg
    38752f19868ed97fd4dbb0255e82c2e5.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 170

mtnboomer

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Midwest City (usually)/Eufaula (when possible)
For anyone who likes KFC, but not the price!

KFC's 11 Herbs and Spices Recipe
11 herbs & spices —

1) 2/3 Ts salt
2) 1/2 Ts thyme
3) 1/2 Ts basil
4) 1/3 Ts oregano
5) 1 Ts celery salt
6) 1 Ts black pepper
7) 1 Ts dried mustard
8) 4 Ts paprika
9) 2 Ts garlic salt
10) 1 Ts ground ginger
11) 3 Ts white pepper

Mix with 2 cups white flour

Note: The addition of MSG (monosodium glutamate) to this recipe is said to replicate exactly the taste of the original KFC chicken. “Accent” seasoning is MSG.

This is reportedly the original "original recipe" given to Harlan Sanders by his aunt.

As Poke18 asked, those T's are presumed to be tablespoons. This is how Sander's aunt originally wrote it.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom