Cool Article

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It reads like the lock step cold war prepper scenario. Fall out shelters, stored food supplies, and stored medical supplies.

There will always be those that think the end of the world is coming quickly. Lots of folks that specialize in producing food storage products, solar/wind generation, water purification, etc make a ton of money promoting that prepper idealology.
I'm one that is pretty sure it will die out like the cold war thinking.
I'd sure hate to be living my every day life with the thought that the world is going to end tomorrow.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It reads like the lock step cold war prepper scenario. Fall out shelters, stored food supplies, and stored medical supplies.

There will always be those that think the end of the world is coming quickly. Lots of folks that specialize in producing food storage products, solar/wind generation, water purification, etc make a ton of money promoting that prepper idealology.
I'm one that is pretty sure it will die out like the cold war thinking.
I'd sure hate to be living my every day life with the thought that the world is going to end tomorrow.

I agree with you to a point, but it doesn't cost that much to keep a little extra food, water, ammo, and medicine on hand just in case. I believe it's a fad that is already fading (at least in my area), and I hope all the niche businesses associated with the prepper industry don't expect to be cashing in long term.

My family went through hurricanes Rita and Ike about 10 years ago, and we were prepared. There were ALOT of folks around us who were in a real bind though.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I agree with you to a point, but it doesn't cost that much to keep a little extra food, water, ammo, and medicine on hand just in case. I believe it's a fad that is already fading (at least in my area), and I hope all the niche businesses associated with the prepper industry don't expect to be cashing in long term.

My family went through hurricanes Rita and Ike about 10 years ago, and we were prepared. There were ALOT of folks around us who were in a real bind though.

Yes, be prepared for natural disasters. I'm all in favor of that and practice it myself with generators to keep freezers going, etc. We live in Oklahoma, we have to be prepared for bad weather.

sureNsteady

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
...I'd sure hate to be living my every day life with the thought that the world is going to end tomorrow...

It's called risk management, and it's not going away by a long shot. No one says you have have to live like the world is going to end, but it's still prudent to be prepared and have options. Some people have loads of insurance for every possible scenario, others have no insurance at all. Being a "prepper" means many things, but above all, if you prepare for serious SHTF scenarios, then you are covered for a multitude of "everyday" scenarios and/or natural disasters. Living off-grid, and being able to grow your own food, live without stores, shipping, dollars, etc. can prove to be beneficial in a multitude of ways, not just for when SHTF. You can cover quite a few scenarios by being prepared for the worst of them. It's the difference between those Katrina survivors stranded at the Superdome and the people who were prepared, ready and safe in Baton Rouge.

(Also kind of like the difference between a 2A pro, concealed carrying, handgun trained, situationally aware Sheepdog and the rest of the unarmed Sheep*. The former is ready for anything, the latter is at the mercy of everything.) *These are the same people that empty the store shelves of bread and milk when the news tells us we are going to have a snow/ice event.

As always YMMV.

Latest posts

Top Bottom