Cool tools you have used.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glock 40

Problem Solver
Special Hen
Reaction score
Okay so the thread about quality tools got me to thinking. What are some of the coolest tools you have ACTUALLY used or use on a daily basis. Share ones that others may not know about or something that is super cool for a job that is a pia.

I will start. If you never used Knipex pliers your life will be changed once you have. The smooth jaws are my favorite. These things are made in Germany and are so well thought out. First time I saw a guy using some I went home and ordered some. They are on my bench right now and in my work truck daily.
upload_2020-11-21_10-25-58.png

AKmoose

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Okay so the thread about quality tools got me to thinking. What are some of the coolest tools you have ACTUALLY used or use on a daily basis. Share ones that others may not know about or something that is super cool for a job that is a pia.

I will start. If you never used Knipex pliers your life will be changed once you have. The smooth jaws are my favorite. These things are made in Germany and are so well thought out. First time I saw a guy using some I went home and ordered some. They are on my bench right now and in my work truck daily.
View attachment 181173

I have one of the large one of those, they are handy, Knipex makes good stuff. A tool truck driver tell me that their side cutters (dykes for the non PC) were the only ones warrantied when cutting aircraft safety wire.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hmm. Lineman's pliers are about as handy as a pocket on a shirt; I have a bunch of them in various sizes, and I always have one in the tool pocket of my overalls when I'm working on the farm.

I bought a set of Gearwrench magnetic spark plug sockets when I changed the plugs and coils on my truck, and those things are so much better than the old rubber-insert spark plug sockets that it's not even funny. I once made a "wobble socket" with a spark plug socket, a universal joint, and a medium extension all held together by HVAC foil tape; there is a plain-Jane plug socket in this kit, but the others are all purpose-made sockets with permanently attached extensions with a built-in wobble joint.

Gearwrench ratcheting box-end wrenches are another lifesaver. I bought an SAE set years ago for working on tractors, and they worked so well that I bought a roll of metric ones for working on cars.

ICanFixIt

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't have a picture, but my brother-in-law loaned me a very old 12 volt drill to drill t-post holes in sandstone. The motor was a Chevrolet starter motor and it got power from a heavy duty jumper cable that hooked directly to a pickup battery. You had to use water to keep the hole cleaned out as you drilled, but that thing saved me many hours compared to any other method.

Dumpstick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have one of the large one of those, they are handy, Knipex makes good stuff. A tool truck driver tell me that their side cutters (dykes for the non PC) were the only ones warrantied when cutting aircraft safety wire.
Reminds me of a story....

Years ago I worked at a salvage yard. The person hired to tear down the incoming vehicles was a lesbian woman in her late twenties. Very butch. She made no secret of her preference.
Anyway, one day the owner of the yard was doing something, asked that girl to hand him some dykes.
She looked at him and said "Those are called 'sidecutters' ."
From that time forward, we called her Sidecutter.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom