Copperhead down

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
OK, just read down through the thread and have to correct the timeline after talking to the wife about what she read.
Breeding season is in the spring, and birth is in August or September according to Timmy59. We are in the time when the young are born.
This might account for how thick the copperhead appeared. I thought well fed but maybe pregnant?
They are short and thick naturally though, so it may have been a rodent in the belly. Don't know.

s4s5zbaUe_1FblHIxCKVMB2XOUBIqgrptPCbrvx-f1udGxPqBf2kCPupmHKVhGhdRQC9nj9umEGR76IsuSaEBcV2A2CgOfSID1ueQ_MjcYalMTvhOg4RhPqWrFP1cskRmXAkWXVPK1gst82VieDmrNbP80e7ruwlteGlr5jztF3EuWcwKxW2ksr0FeNP-UjV-HYcgxHnbLoTiMYP2nF93dlv0kroW8CR1L23CXkFAQxoDS4Ba4ROBvf6sNS290zXApyudPU_qnvGYQNWcZc7QX7ifmOZMoi7FCyJbdxZ7CcULQPHfAB5j72w4WywGT67CsW362RRoRQhG70eWgNHgFAt3o35ByRCX3Rjb7r0ejViK7awfxgXnyE-3o4WdVY2DGTs_reO6Z3gJvDNP8Gu1CB6JCHSHbe5srcRKwLrAObOHIYDutqZ8aRAgamXbDC_bVE048RXDEtrpRTdvUnqCbSBfXwjyNCXmZU1ANCjWgtd_MNC8OP48hjswZ03LzlooGOI0CJKJ9Cp3ecmHyNKieQlQbrwsD-5l0MyzR0wRbKr8X8EN5dezKH1I_awIvK--CFZP47ko5DwS5i1oXe_yYGQcp3lcOgQAVEHJYBrN6AVgPoWuMgrQVUB2ZeXB-4ph1GOgryKSDpbF57V7PAp4sIxJNiczh5EzVLVTjdqaYttMsnYhRIvtbiVNrcD=s250-k-rw-no

Anybody see this pic?

Nope. Still no pic here.

Timmy59

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
@Timmy59
What kinda snake is this? Thank you
View attachment 175212

As twoforflinching and Dennis said.. A rat snake, Elaphe obsoletus first and middle name the last name would be determined by its locality, if it were a Great plains last name Emoryi, if S OK, N TX Lindheimeri.. Since I stepped out of the snake biz the taxonomists have changed the genus name again.. Instead of Elaphe it is now Pantherophis Obsoletus..

Timmy59

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
View attachment 175204

This guy lost an argument with my brush hog last month.

In my near 4 years on our little farm, I have caught and played with prairie kingsnakes, speckled kingsnakes, Ratsnakes and bull snakes I can't speak too much of what the shredder has chopped other than several legless lizards which I still haven't managed to lay my hands on.. The only hot / venomous snakes I've come across are pygmy rattlers and the 2 times I've come across them has been the weed eater, so they didn't fair well.. What the chickens have gobbled down I have no idea, they do enjoy little snakes though..

Timmy59

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, I was using some information that the wife got off of fakebook about breeding season after she saw the snake. I wanted to question it as most critters don't breed or spawn in the fall season but I'm totally clueless about snake breeding seasons.
I know you are, so I'll take your opinion as gospel. :D

When it comes to snakes the "general public" is full of stories, likely Gods most misunderstood and feared creature.. Passed down from 1 generation to the next...

Free Trapper

Repeat Offender
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When it comes to snakes the "general public" is full of stories, likely Gods most misunderstood and feared creature.. Passed down from 1 generation to the next...

Wait a minute Timmy...are you saying there's no such thing as a hoop snake/a cow milking snake/ or a snake that assembles itself back together after you beat him into several pieces?....you need some of my Arkansas hillbilly raisin' to straighten you up boy!

I should also add...any non venomous snake gets a free ride around here...keeps the rats and mice population down.

Latest posts

Top Bottom