Corrosive ammo question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jduff8505

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
With much of the MilSurp Russian/Yugo ammo being corrosive, but also becoming all that's available. What is corrosive in this stuff? From what I understand it is the primers, and if that is the case what absolutely has to be cleaned after shooting it? I don't do a complete tear down during every cleaning, sometimes a spray of CDL in the moving parts and a bore brush and swab down the barrel. Thanks for any help.

Jeff

milsurp2.0

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A bowl of soapy hot water with the muzzle stuck in it will work. Use a tight patch to suck up the water like a straw. Do this a few times and use a brush the same way. Clean as usual. Not too much else to worry about unless you popped a primer or cracked a case.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Does Balistol neutralize the salts on its own or would I still have to do the hot soapy water rinse first?

Just mix water into the Ballistol, it's the water that does it. Read the label. It's good stuff for this. It's what it was made for. Once the water evaporates you have the Ballistol left to protect from rust.

AKguy1985

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Some people like to use windex, but all you need is hot soapy water. When I shoot corrosive ammo through a mosin i clean the bore with hot soapy water then clean and wipe down the bolt face, then clean as usual then oil. I check it every day after that and i've never had any issues with rust.

WessonOil

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It be the primer, and the positive side of a corrosive primer is that it has a very long shelf life.

I bought a ton of WW2 gun cleaner a few years back for next to nothing just for giggles, but previous to that I used soapy water or Windex.

Please do bear in mnd that if you clean it correctly, there's no need to check it for rust every day.

Boehlertaught

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I also bought a bunch of GI WWII bore cleaner years ago. It is great for neutralizing salts after corrosive ammo use. Follow with regular bore cleaning after salt neutralization.

Latest posts

Top Bottom