Corrosive ammo question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I picked up 80 rounds of M2 Ball at a gun show. It's from the Denver plant and is corrosive. I thought about running it through my Garand but haven't made a decision yet. Most likely I'll just keep it in the boxes for historical value.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've read several places that simple green will neutralize the salts. Of course this is only a quick fix until you can give it a thorough cleaning.

HackerF15E

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hot water rinse is all that you need, followed by clean patches and light oil. Corrosive ammo isn't the 12-foot-tall boogey man that so many on the internet make it out to be.

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What effect will it have if you don't clean after you shoot the corrosive ammo? Is it the barrels or the action you have to worry about?

Primarily you will see rust in the bore from the salt in the primer. That's why most Yugoslavian military firearms have frosty bores. They didn't have chrome-lined barrels and most of their ammo was corrosive.

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
How do I tell if my AK 's have chrome lined bores. One is an Arsenal and the other is a Polish Tantal.

I had to do some research since I didn't know the answers off the top of my head but from what I can tell the Arsenals come with a chrome-lined barrel. On the Tantal the best I can tell is that it may or may not have chrome lining, depending on its origin and who built the rifle. What's the name on the receiver?

I had an AMD-65 parts kit around here for awhile (shouldn't have sold it) but they were chrome lined and the bore looked like a 50s car bumper. Shine a light down your Tantal and see how it looks.

Latest posts

Top Bottom