1. Welcome to Oklahoma Shooters Association! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.
  2. All members receive 3 free listings a month. Get unlimited listings for just $10 a year! Click here for all the info.

County road repair....at it’s finest.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by hunter966, May 4, 2021.

1. dennishoddy

dennishoddy Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    Same with our driveway. 2" of hard rain and the 1/3 mile road is a foot deep in running water below the hill. I have to get the tractor out to move the rock back onto the driveway and blade it off. We have 100 yards of a 10 degree grade uphill that is tough to maintain. Crusher run sets up pretty hard so that is what we use but the drainage culvert at the bottom of the hill plugs up with sediment and leafs requiring a lot of front loader work clearing the debris after a hard rain.

2. Okie4570

Okie4570 Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    Statewide issue whether it's concrete, asphalt or gravel/sand/shale/gyp they all suck. So do the folks trying to patch or grade them. Same goes for the 10 ton bridges that now have 3 ton signs because they won't fix or replace the bridge. It's actually getting pretty hard to legally drive very far around here in a F350 or larger with out being overweight lol.

RickN, DRC458 and dennishoddy like this.
  3. dennishoddy

dennishoddy Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    Osage county does have a new pothole repair process. I've never seen the machine, but it appears to put HOT asphalt into the pothole that doesn't settle like the shoveled stuff that they used to do.

Okie4570 likes this.
  4. HoLeChit

HoLeChit Semper Fidelis

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    Hey hey now, the bridge weights are suggestions. When I worked for a certain oil company we had instances where we got stuck on the road and couldn’t turn around, and took 110k+ lb tractor/trailer combos across 15 ton bridges before.

Okie4570 and dennishoddy like this.
  5. PBramble

PBramble I need TP

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    While working in Red Oak on a road and bridge job, I drove a compactor across an old trestle bridge rather than load it up on the big rig and drive it around the block for 7 miles to the other side. That bridge must have been a hundred years old with 2x12s for the decking. The crew just said, "you drove that, over that?" They mentioned a rabbits foot in my rectum of something.

HoLeChit likes this.
  6. dennishoddy

dennishoddy Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    I drove semi's for Rocket Freight Lines back in the late 70's. Some rural deliveries were across 5 ton bridges that didn't met requirements for the tractor alone much less than the trailer and load.
    Scary stuff. One I put in first gear of the 14 speed road ranger, got out and let it crawl across the wooden bridge on it's own until the tractor got across the wood bridge. Got back in and made the delivery.
    Anybody remember Governor David Hall? Went to prison for corruption.
    He owned rocket freight lines.

blacktot, RickN, DRC458 and 1 other person like this.
  7. HoLeChit

HoLeChit Semper Fidelis

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    one memorable time we were out near Altus I think. We almost sank the tractor in a ditch trying to turn around. I told the driver I wasn’t going to deal with that and follow me for a detour. He was a pretty green driver, hadn’t had his CDL for much more than a year. When we went over one of those bridges I told him just to floor it, as if he could jump the rig over it, lol.

blacktot and dennishoddy like this.
  8. dennishoddy

dennishoddy Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    In our RV now people wonder how I can back the rig into the spot on a one shot deal. It comes from a zillion times of backing into docks and locations to unload.

HoLeChit likes this.
  9. Okie4570

Okie4570 Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    Legally I said lol.....unlike the 110k combo lol :)

10. trekrok

trekrok Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    I had seen that thing, basically a giant asphalt router robot, lol. It's pretty cool, but you're right, price tag will make the sales tough. It's infrastructure though, so maybe?