County road repair....at it’s finest.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had seen that thing, basically a giant asphalt router robot, lol. It's pretty cool, but you're right, price tag will make the sales tough. It's infrastructure though, so maybe?

I think it looks incredible, only it won't work for stretches of road, many of which we have, which need to be torn up and replaced.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Back in the 70's and 80's when I watched football there was a commercial about some kind of underlayment sheet to prevent potholes a big company was hawking. I can't remember if it was Dupont or made from plastics or what. They really played it up big showing a big roll being laid down then the asphalt overlay but I never saw or heard of any entity using it.

Anyone here remember this and what it was and better yet, was it effective?
Geotextile is what it is called and OK use miles and miles of it each year.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Osage county does have a new pothole repair process. I've never seen the machine, but it appears to put HOT asphalt into the pothole that doesn't settle like the shoveled stuff that they used to do.
The one I've seen them use is a truck with hot tar they squirt in the hole, then a tube they blow in gravel. operated with a joystick and they never get out of the truck. That way it saves lives, protecting against those terrible Osage county drivers.

PBramble

Let's Eat
Special Hen
Reaction score
Honestly, after doing that work, I've come to the conclusion there are several issues with the roads that I'm not sure could be remedied. First, the prep work is usually subpar. I've seen inspectors "encouraged" to leave job sites because after the work is completed, he won't check it. The companies encourage the job bosses to make as much money as they can (obviously) and a lot of them cut some corners to make that happen. The last thing I see on a lot of local roads is a large number of tractor trailers using back roads as shortcuts instead of taking the highways. Those back roads were never built with that kind of traffic in mind. The new turnpike by my house had loaded 10 wheelers driving around, literally tearing the roads to shreds. At least the city is redoing them for now.

Okiedog

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Our county workers have got it figured out. Job security!!! This has been “fixed” for close to a week now.View attachment 204242

At least they are using asphalt to fill potholes. Here in NE Pontatoc County they are using good ole red dirt. Get a rain, dirt washes off, and guess what? Same pothole re-appears. Must be magic! SMH!

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Cold mix actually works pretty well for patches when used properly, but it has to be tamped in from the bottom up with something heavy (like a post driver or sledge hammer).

Most folks won't put out the effort, so they just add extra on top and hope traffic will tamp it down. But it don't work that way, so it remains loose and much of it gets squished out.
:drunk2:

hunter966

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
At least they are using asphalt to fill potholes. Here in NE Pontatoc County they are using good ole red dirt. Get a rain, dirt washes off, and guess what? Same pothole re-appears. Must be magic! SMH!

Holy crap, I’m not gonna gripe anymore. That’s just pretty dang bad right there.

Latest posts

Top Bottom