Coyote hunt

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Went out in the snow storm today to see if any varmints were hungry.
Used the mouth call as I wanted to get into the woods vs calling them out of the woods and do some traveling on foot.
Made three sits moving about 400 yards each time I tried to call. On the last one a coyote appeared behind the brush on the left and just stood there looking at me for a good 5 minutes.
No way to get a shot through the limbs and he finally turned to walk away.
Nothing but some good exercise today.

IMG_2138.jpg

I don’t think this Tpost is going anywhere soon.

IMG_2142.jpg

undeg01

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I went out Monday evening and called in 2 coyotes, a bobcat and a great horned owl. The coyotes came in as a double in the first 5 mins of calling. They hung up at 200 yds and I was only able to get one of them.

The bobcat is a yearling that I’ve watched since it was a kitten, so I let it walk, again. This was the second time I’ve had her in my scope.

The owl came swooping in and landed 20 yds in front of me, then hung out for the 20 mins I sat in that spot.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Several of us still do it every winter. No airplane but we do have a damn good mechanic with an old tow truck lift on his truck on call the days we hunt. One of us usually tears the hell out of something. This picture was last winter after the snow. Caught 10 coyotes, blowed 3 tires, broke a few U bolts on an axle and shoved a radiator into the fan in about 4 hours on 3 different trucks. View attachment 183616

Sent from my LG-H700 using Tapatalk

Sounds like a great time, but maybe ya'll need to get a designated driver ?

clintbailey

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Is there still a buckshot restriction on coyotes? Last I heard somewhere around BB shot was biggest you could use on them, never made sense to me?? Great job on the coyotes to all, I need to get going but now we have holiday doe season in my area from Dec 18-31, so I guess I'll try after New Years

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Is there still a buckshot restriction on coyotes? Last I heard somewhere around BB shot was biggest you could use on them, never made sense to me?? Great job on the coyotes to all, I need to get going but now we have holiday doe season in my area from Dec 18-31, so I guess I'll try after New Years
I believe BB is still the biggest shot unless your night hunting, then it's #6 if I remember right with GW notification.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Is there still a buckshot restriction on coyotes? Last I heard somewhere around BB shot was biggest you could use on them, never made sense to me??
I believe BB is still the biggest shot unless your night hunting, then it's #6 if I remember right with GW notification.
So ya can kill 'em with any caliber rifle, but nothing larger than BB in a shotgun?

Why would that make sense to anybody...
106178-b7e1941ea8db5163fe4c94d654cb9705.jpg

clintbailey

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So ya can kill 'em with any caliber rifle, but nothing larger than BB in a shotgun?

Why would that make sense to anybody...
106178-b7e1941ea8db5163fe4c94d654cb9705.jpg
Sure doesn't to me! I'd just hate to see someone get fined for not knowing that, since most predator hunters in other states seem to use buckshot or equivalent while calling

okhunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Is there still a buckshot restriction on coyotes? Last I heard somewhere around BB shot was biggest you could use

Nothing larger than number four buckshot. It was changed I believe last year.

Latest posts

Top Bottom