Coyote Hunting

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

larkinmusic

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This fall I plan on using a Marlin 1894 .44mag. Last year I always found myself wishing I had a shotgun when I carried my scoped rifle, and wishing I had a scoped rifle when I carried my shotgun. With the Marlin I think I will have my bases covered. It's very quick handling for close shots and even with irons I'm confident out to 100 yards on a coyote size target.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've killed them with everything from a 30-06 or .270 or .22-250 to a .17HMR. Most have been with the 06 during deer season.

Shot one leaving a huge hole on the exit side with an 06 hollowpoint. I took it to the local fur buyer and he said that didn't matter as they only use the fur from the top of the neck and the belly fur. I got $35 for the yote unskinned.
That was a few years back.

All I know is that you don't want to shoot one at 25 yds with a 45 grain WWB Hp quartering towards you. I don't know what caused all the destruction, except maybe hitting the bone joint and having lots of extra fragments.

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v252_dennishoddy_P5160002.jpg

imhntn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I really like the .17 Rem with handloads. It is fur friendly and shoots like a laser. The .223 is a good choice though cause ammo is so cheap and available. I don't think the .22 mag is enough gun nor the .17 hmr and the mini 14 is not accurate enough for varmints. ARs do a lot better for just a little more money. All that said, you can kill a coyote with anything if you limit yourself to close shots or if you do not care about fur.

okhunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Dennis that is one bad looking coyote! I wish the pelts were still going for $35.00. My whole point is always do you want to keep the fur, if not use whatever you feel comfortable shooting. Another thing alot of people have missed over the years including the gun industry is the difference between a varmint rifle and a predator rifle. I like a light weight rifle with a lower powered scope when calling.I have taken too many people calling and they bring a 11 pound rifle with a high powered scope. They usually end up missing or never get a shot off at a coyote charging in at 50 yards or less.

Scott

imhntn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Dennis that is one bad looking coyote! I wish the pelts were still going for $35.00. My whole point is always do you want to keep the fur, if not use whatever you feel comfortable shooting. Another thing alot of people have missed over the years including the gun industry is the difference between a varmint rifle and a predator rifle. I like a light weight rifle with a lower powered scope when calling.I have taken too many people calling and they bring a 11 pound rifle with a high powered scope. They usually end up missing or never get a shot off at a coyote charging in at 50 yards or less.

Scott

Definitely good wisdom Scott. I have been out in some big western pastures where we walked for hours calling different stands before we ever got back to the truck. Those heavy varmint rifles get awful heavy by the time the truck comes into view.

okhunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I knew you would know what I was talking about with all the calling you do. Are you going to the Predator Masters hunt this year? There are some other guys from OK. going, we should all convoy out there.

Scott

imhntn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I knew you would know what I was talking about with all the calling you do. Are you going to the Predator Masters hunt this year? There are some other guys from OK. going, we should all convoy out there.

Scott

I have wanted to go for several years but just have not been able to make it happen. We'll see what out of state tags I draw this year. If I bust, I may just be able to go this year. I know it would be a blast to meet everybody.

Latest posts

Top Bottom