Coyotes are teasing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So there's a field about a mile from the house here in Bixby that my buddy has been saying he sees coyotes in a few times a week. I'd not noticed any so started watching and I've seen them 3 times over the last week. There was a single around 8am last week, 4 of them late at night on Friday night and a single today around 5pm on the way home from work. We're just driving by and see them...so they're not too afraid of the road there. They're just teasing, seems like a little hot spot for the dudes!

Glock 40

Problem Solver
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have seen them in my area around 101st and Yale frequently. Saw one standing next to Creek Turnpike recently in the middle of the day by Yale exit. I have had a red fox trot across my yard multiple times. Those suckers do some serious damage on the bunnies and cats. One fox killed an Owl in the Neighbors yard last year.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
They come into town at night. Another member, my father and myself were visiting late evening when we heard a puppy/dog scream. Shortly after we saw a coyote running for the woods carrying a limp body in its mouth.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
In BA its not uncommon to see foxes in the easterly neighborhoods. I've not seen any coyotes, but I hear em when I'm working past dark in way south BA and Coweta.
Way back in the day, the person that developed the Conoco refinery in town and built the mansion that is a tourist attraction now, held classic fox hunts on horseback. He imported red fox from the east coast as the story goes.
Red fox are common around Ponca City since then and it's attributed to the fox that they imported and released to hunt. That could be true or not as folk lore, but there are a lot of red fox in this area. I had to drive past the refinery every morning and evening going to work or coming home and fox were seen on a regular basis in the area of the refinery. The occasional road kill was seen as well.

Tanis143

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Way back in the day, the person that developed the Conoco refinery in town and built the mansion that is a tourist attraction now, held classic fox hunts on horseback. He imported red fox from the east coast as the story goes.
Red fox are common around Ponca City since then and it's attributed to the fox that they imported and released to hunt. That could be true or not as folk lore, but there are a lot of red fox in this area. I had to drive past the refinery every morning and evening going to work or coming home and fox were seen on a regular basis in the area of the refinery. The occasional road kill was seen as well.

I dunno, we have a lot of red fox up here as well. Found this with some google-fu, it was published in 1960:

https://www.jstor.org/stable/3669458?seq=1

Latest posts

Top Bottom