Create a "Keep in the Car" Lawbook???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rez Exelon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So I've been gathering some information for myself over the past coupla years and I'm wondering what ya'll think about making it into a project that I'll just count on keeping up-to-date as much as possible. Maybe there is one, but I don't know of it --- if so maybe this could call it out for me/the group :D!

The idea is that while there are a lot of LEO's that are very friendly toward responsible members of the firearms community, I know that there are many out there that don't believe there IS such a thing as a responsible firearms community. So I've taken to keeping a copy of the latest SDA in my car at all times. Recently I've wanted to expand that. Here's what I have so far:

1. Copy of the SDA (Nov, 2009)
2. List/map of states with reciprocity agreements with OK for traveling legally.
3. "Plain English" explanation of the legal rights of the SDA.

I'm sure there could be a few other things that might be helpful to have around such as any credible documentation about legality of gunbuster signs and any number of other topics? What do ya'll think --- what's missing?

And if anyone has webspace that they want to host the prototype file PM me an email address and I'll send it your way. (although that'd be tomorrow since I left the file on my work computer).

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It'll be a cold day in hell before I tell a cop the law on the side of the road.

The type that need informing the most, are the type you least want to argue with.

"Yes sir, I understand."

I don't think arguing gun laws with a cop on the side of the road can go anywhere good. I'd let him do what he thinks he needs to do, and sort it out later.

Rez Exelon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
True, but this to me got started because I wanted to make sure I knew what I was doing. And mostly because I wanted a copy of the reciprocity map :)

penismightier

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It'll be a cold day in hell before I tell a cop the law on the side of the road.

The type that need informing the most, are the type you least want to argue with.

"Yes sir, I understand."

I don't think arguing gun laws with a cop on the side of the road can go anywhere good. I'd let him do what he thinks he needs to do, and sort it out later.

+eleventy billion!

The side of the road is NOT the place to discuss/argue/cite law/etc. Take what you get and deal with it in a courtroom or other venue.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was out of state once. Pulled over by a state trooper. He asks for registration.

I blurt out "We don't have to carry that in Oklahoma."

"Boy, we ain't in Oklahoma, are we?"

I said "That was a dumass thing to say, wasn't it?"

He busted out laughing and said to keep it in the car if I'm going out of state from then on. Wrote me a warning on the speed.

Rez Exelon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hrmmm. I guess maybe I'll be alone in thinking that over prepared is better than under. I guess I just work from the perspective that if given the chance to respond one might want to. It's a super rare occasion that I have heard about any LEO ever not questioning what a person was doing, even if it involved "WTH were you thinking". And if given that chance (assuming it was asked actually *wanting* an answer) I guess my thinking is that my answer might be "Sir, I am unaware if anything I am doing is wrong. I try to be compliant with all laws regarding this topic unless there is something I have missed in the book"

Whether or not it goes in a persons favor or not is going to depending entirely on each individual situation, but assuming it was handled right, a situation like that couldn't be made worse??

If I am a minority in thinking I certainly don't mind to be.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Taser, Taser, Taser!!!! May be what you hear next.

Most definitely. Just make a giant flipbook with "DON'T TASE ME BRO!!!!" written on every page. Keep your window shut and hold it up until he leaves.:D

They ask you to talk to make their case against you stronger. I know the court rooms I've been in EVERYTHING the suspects say is brought up in court.

They don't it to give you a chance to talk your way out of handcuffs. That's not gonna happen. Let it ride, or you'll end up an internet meme. If they did get the law wrong, you'll be free to go soon and you can even try to go sue-happy on them depending on how far it goes.

"Sir, I am unaware if anything I am doing is wrong.?

Skip to 4:15

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJ3dk6KAvQM

yukonjack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You'll go from warning to ticket in about 2.5 seconds if you try to pull that book out on a traffic stop. This just has bad idea written all over it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom