Curiosity: buying out of state vehicle with expired registration

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
Thinking about doing the "live in" RV for a time while we build, after I sell this house, so I have some time to plan. Anyways, I want a towable since I'll need a truck around the property anyways, so I've been researching hauling trucks, and ran across one that mentioned having 3 years of back registration. I've never dealt with that from out of state, any experience here?

Backstrap

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don’t believe the fact that it hasn’t been registered in three years in another state will affect you - you just need the title to it for registering it in Oklahoma within 30 days of purchasing it.

Backstrap

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not sure - you might want to call the state it’s titled in and ask that. If they won’t, then deduct those charges from your agreed upon purchase price. Or better yet make the current owner pay all past due registration fees; etc. as a condition of your purchase.

918evo

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You should be able to title it in OK without any penalties, but call the tag office you plan on using beforehand to confirm. There is no need to contact the previous state.

User67828

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's been about 7 years now, but I bought a Bronco from Texas and had to pay a huge penalty for overdue registration. Penalty was like $250, registration and other fees were around $50. Paid a 1/3 of what the truck cost me just to tag the damn thing. Needless to say, it's a life lesson I wont forget.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
Each state is different I've learned, AR is a particular PITA. Which state are you talking about?

California.

They put it in the ad: "3 years back registration. $1600"

That's what the truck costs roughly ($1500) but it's in good enough condition and has the features to be worth $3k even if the line "Runs drives stops and steers, no check engine or abs light on." isn't accurate.

It's only a supercab, I really need a crew cab for the two car seats, so this is mostly a curiosity.

Latest posts

Top Bottom