Cylinder gap danger

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seadog

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My experience learning about cylinder gap and old worn out revolvers was around 2003. My bud had his dads old 22 revolver and we were down shooting into a river bed bank. I was maybe 5 or 6 feet to his side. We were shooting cans. Needless to say while shooting I got some hot gunpowder or lead to the side of my face. No lacerations or blood but that’s all it took for me to learn to not line up side by side while he was shooting that old pistol.

Elm Creek Smith

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Someone (the Mythbusters, maybe) tackled that one a few years ago, using a hotdog as a stand-in for a finger on a big-bore S&W wheelgun (I want to say it was a .500, but it has been too long). It didn't turn out well for the hotdog, BTW.
They used a chicken leg as the stand-in for a finger, and the cylinder gap from the .500 S&W cut the leg bone in two!

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Did you cauterize the wound by pouring gunpowder on it and lighting it off like Hopalong Cassidy used to do back in the day?
I saw that used on some military(ish?) show not long ago. Be simpler to remove a bullet from the casing & just shoot 'em again.

Sounds like something McGyver would do... :D

Latest posts

Top Bottom