Day Ten of my recent retirement,,,

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
First thing is get rid of your wristwatch if you are used to wearing one.

I chucked my wristwatch the very same day I retired and never looked back.

No. No. No. No. No. Gotsta' have my wristwatch. Don't care what time it is, but I gotta' know what day it is!

I do however, avoid the "work" part of pretty much anything now. If I don't enjoy it, or want to do it, I either hire it out or it doesn't get done.

This part is very much true. I've been retired coming on six years now, and I'm still working on making myself do this.

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
LOL i would always talked about the day i would retire with my coworkers and they would always say nope your going to die here, the morning i walked in and told them where they could shove it all the co workers jaws hit the floor couldnt believe i really did it. Do i miss the work yes but it got to be to much of a hostile work environment that i wanted no part of so that was that.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
https://www.amazon.com/Games-Game-Infrared-Activated-Personalized-Digital/dp/B004PHQBSE

41tTGFVeu-L._AC_.jpg

It's even got the correct gettin up time fer us'n retired guys.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Retired April Fools Day 2015 and people told me that after 31 years on the job I'd miss the job and the people.

They were wrong as.......
HaHa! I retired on April Fools day 2013. ( I think it was, who keeps track?)
Three years retired before convincing the Younger wife along with the financial guy we would make more money retired than working.
Obama care has been a nightmare as she was not eligible for the Medicare she paid for in her working career of 45 years.
All that aside, I've talked to ex coworkers twice since retiring and both told me I would hate working there in todays enviroment.
It took me a month or so to get out of work mode. Wife would come home from work and ask if I had done anything productive around the house or farm today. Nope! Didn't do a danged thing today but piddle in the shop. It kind of angered her.
Three years later she retired and it took her about three months to finally realize what I was saying and realizing she had done her job to society and it was time to let it go.
Now we both go to bed when tired, and get up when not tired. I have a butt ton of hobbies, hunting, fishing, reloading, shooting, ATV riding, and it goes on, basically by myself as folks anymore my age can't get out in the field because of disabilities, etc.
Wife basically was a worker and not one with a hobby.
This RV lifestyle we are embracing now is like an entire new life in our travels. We have met with a tremendous group of RV'rs and became extremely close friends. We meet all over the country for the last 3 years with new journeys over the next many years planned already. Some sold everything they had after retirement, bought a rig and hit the road. Others maintain a home but travel extensively.
Almost every evening there is a get together with food and drink. Day trips to gun ranges and places of interest, and some days with nothing to do.
When not in the same location group texts keep everyone informed of the next move and plans to meet.
It's an interesting collage of friends with tons of stories to keep the conversation going.
Ex Postal inspector who's team put the cuffs on Ted Kazinsky (unibomber) after his brother turned him in, District supervisor of the border patrol, ex FBI special investigator, and a host of other interesting professions. Two couples still working remotely out of their RV's.
Amazing life style if your bored with sitting around the home and have no hobbies.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Problem with the rv lifestyle... where do I put my gun safe, ammo, mags, etc :)
Trust me there are places. No safe, but I can assure you there is more firepower in most RV resorts we visit than there is in a fully armed military brigade. Serious equipment too.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom