Deer gun season to possibly increase in 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hangfire

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Reading the sports section of The Oklahoman today and read that ODW is considering increasing gun season another week in 2020.

The article states the increase is not because our deer herd is over populated but the extra week is so hunters have more opportunities to go deer hunting.

Micah Holmes (spokesman for ODW) said, "we want to do as much as we can for the hunters UNTIL it has a negative impact on the deer population".

My thought, if they see that after 'X' period increasing the season does have a negative impact on the population isn't it a little too late ??

Refresh my memory, didn't us hunters ban together and fight a similar proposal by ODW a few years ago because many of us felt that it would hurt our deer herd ?

Micah Holmes, "we want to know what people think".

Per The Oklahoman......beginning Dec. 2nd the public can leave comments on the agency's new hunting and fishing proposals at wildlifedepartment.com and public hearings on the new 2020 proposals will be held in OKC and Broken Bow on Jan. 2nd, 2020.

I don't think many folks still read the Sunday paper nor do I think very many check the ODW web site very often (if at all) to know about the new proposal.......I'm against it but if you are against (or for) the week increase you need to get the word out to as many as you can.

Last edited:

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Years ago Alabama that had and still has a major deer overpopulation problem put in a 90 day kill a deer no matter what method season.
Gun season runs for three months. November through February.
I saw a hunter survey a couple years ago that said hunters in the field with the three month gun season pretty much equaled the number of gun hunters during the 16 day season they had previous. The only difference was that opening weekend wasn't so crowded. The average hunter spent the same number of days in the field as they did during the 2 week season.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Years ago Alabama that had and still has a major deer overpopulation problem put in a 90 day kill a deer no matter what method season.
Gun season runs for three months. November through February.
I saw a hunter survey a couple years ago that said hunters in the field with the three month gun season pretty much equaled the number of gun hunters during the 16 day season they had previous. The only difference was that opening weekend wasn't so crowded. The average hunter spent the same number of days in the field as they did during the 2 week season.
Yep. Alabama used to be the premiere deer spot in the early '80s when I started hunting deer. IIRC, they had a 90 day season and one deer a day bag limit. Probably somewhat different now, but it was night/day different from ours. Still haven't made it there. :(

ignerntbend

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I keep thinking of what if life gets in the way? If a family member has a major medical situation it can be a few weeks to a month, this can eat up the whole season as stands presently.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
My stepfather died about this time of year. The next time I saw a friend and coworker the first thing he said was "Well, that played Hell with your deer season."
True story. It's a lot funnier than it used to be. I loved my stepdad.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
3.5 months of deer season currently. That is a little more than a 1/4 of the year.
Hunting seasons and bag limits are about conservation. Frankly, I think some outfitter operations are really detrimental to the wildlife in small localized areas.
I know of a small outfitter that has 2 blinds and 2 feeders on 160 acres and has affordable pricing. I know of 6 bucks harvested and 1 that wasn't found by customers so far and we still have 13 days of rifle season and about 50 days of archery season left to go.
Sure the population won't go extinct from his small time operation, but locally it will suffer. What happens when he devastates the herd and lets that lease go and moves 8 miles down the road to do it again? What if he just adds the other place to his operation and does the same thing?
Well I tell you the greedy bastards are out to make the bucks as fast as they can to the detriment of the wildlife. The Mission statement of the Wildlife Department is not to whore out the wildlife for the profit of a few. It is time we make our voice heard by the Wildlife Department, Wildlife Commissioners and Governor.

Deer Slayer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The Governor and Lt Gov want to make Oklahoma the top 10 destination for fishing and possibly hunting. To me this smells of greed at the highest level and the hell with the wildlife. Let's promote tourism at all cost. If you want to see the end result then go to Broken Bow on a summer weekend and fight the traffic jams, see the gated communities, pay $18.00+ for a hamburger and fries and call that a fun weekend. 1 acre building lots have been reportedly costing $200,000.00. Its called "scenic" yet 60 years ago it was called $75.00/acre rocky ground good for nothing. IMHO Broken Bow and Hoshatown are ruined because of greed. End of rant.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I keep thinking of what if life gets in the way? If a family member has a major medical situation it can be a few weeks to a month, this can eat up the whole season as stands presently.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
Yep. I've missed most of Archery, and muzzleloader to family health issues.

Latest posts

Top Bottom