Deer Processing; Do You Do It, Tips, Short Cuts, or Drop ‘em Off

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hirschkopf

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
With the increasing incidence of Chronic Wasting Disease (CWD) in deer, I advise gutting in the field and having the carcasses tested for CWD before processing. Since few people have a means to store their game while waiting for test results, it’s probably best to resort to commercial alternatives. The disease is transmissible to humans and cooking doesn’t prevent transmission; also, it is incurable as well as fatal.
Don't want to derail this thread too much. My point was CWD has the potential to alter laws governing interstate transport of deer meat, before or after processing.

CWD is caused by altered, heat-stable, proteins know as prions. Humans can acquire some prion diseases, but the prion(s) responsible for CWD have never been shown to infect humans. Recently, some mice genetically modified to be somewhat like humans from a protein receptor perspective were infectable by CWD prions in laboratory experiments. But, they did not develop the disease.

I work as a veterinary researcher (pathologist), so this stuff is really interesting to me. A reasonable precaution would be do ones best not to get brain or spinal cord fragments into the meat. Meanwhile, I'm going to enjoy all the venison I can get :-). But, if I knew a harvested deer had the infection, I'd pass.

Good link: Chronic Wasting Disease (CWD) | Prion Diseases | CDC

OHJEEZE

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No license or tags ?

Private property or not, I’d be careful with that one…..
It is ok! Landowners still have a few rights in my state!
image.jpg

It is my opinion that licensing requirements should be left to the individual land owner!

Two Gun Warrior

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I do my own. My goal in deer hunting is to produce the cheapest cost meat.

No high priced ammo
No paid processing
No license or tags
No travel expences
No willful wildlife feeding

Sometimes I wonder why I bother. Usually in the stand I ponder all the stuff I could be doing on my land instead of sitting there wasting away! Lol

And the meat is nothing I get excited about
If you do not like the meat must be doing something wrong are they are eating something bad.

Two Gun Warrior

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Don't want to derail this thread too much. My point was CWD has the potential to alter laws governing interstate transport of deer meat, before or after processing.

CWD is caused by altered, heat-stable, proteins know as prions. Humans can acquire some prion diseases, but the prion(s) responsible for CWD have never been shown to infect humans. Recently, some mice genetically modified to be somewhat like humans from a protein receptor perspective were infectable by CWD prions in laboratory experiments. But, they did not develop the disease.

I work as a veterinary researcher (pathologist), so this stuff is really interesting to me. A reasonable precaution would be do ones best not to get brain or spinal cord fragments into the meat. Meanwhile, I'm going to enjoy all the venison I can get :-). But, if I knew a harvested deer had the infection, I'd pass.

Good link: Chronic Wasting Disease (CWD) | Prion Diseases | CDC
Thanks for the info!!!

C_Hallbert

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
In view of the fact that up to now there are no documented cases of Chronic Wasting Disease which have been shown to have been transmitted to humans via ingestion of infected deer or other animals known to carry this disease, I recant my statement, “Yes….you can.”where I incorrectly answered KroyWen’s question: “Any idea if you can test CWD in processed/ frozen meat ? ? 😵‍💫
However, based on the similar origins of Creutzfeldt-Jakob Disease and Bovine Spongiform Encephalopathy (Mad Cow Disease), I’m not taking chances myself…..

Two Gun Warrior

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I gut mine where I kill it, easier to load that way. If it is a warm day I try to process as fast as I can. I have had them pretty much cut and wrapped in 3 hours after kill. Getting older I can not do that fast anymore, hands not so good. Kill them right, take care of the meat, and cook it right, not much better.

OHJEEZE

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you do not like the meat must be doing something wrong are they are eating something bad.
It not that I do not like it, it is just I am not crazy about it!

I'd rather eat beef, chicken, turkey, or fish!
Of all the wild critters in my area, turkey and fish are my favorites!

This last buck I wacked was a monster, deboned I got just a tad over 100 pounds of meat. His liver has been the tastiest

I been mixing the grinds 2:1 with 80/20 beef and making a grillable burger! Lol

Latest posts

Top Bottom