Deer protection

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eagle Eye

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Do grille guards and the like actually help when hitting a deer? I realize that at 65mph there is little hope, but at 35-40 maybe they help? I've read that some people think they are just damage multipliers. What are your thoughts/experiences?

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
It needs to be built. Myself and another guy built one of 3/8" plate and 1" water sprinkler pipe, with quite an emphasis on protecting the light assembly. Rhino lined it and it managed through 3 deer impacts, all less that 45mph though. I would venture to say that about 75% of the ones I see for sale will crush and just crush the grill and light assembly as well.

Frederick

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Depends on the truck too.

If it's a car it won't do anything, either.

Car will just plow it into the windshield.

Avoid the aluminum and get the steel ones. Make sure it's properly mounted otherwise it will just bend backwards on impact.

They're pretty effective and look cool.

Back in Sandy Hook KY you practically need those things. That's where my limited knowledge comes from.

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Most grill guards are called damage extenders or damage multipliers in the off-roading industry because your going to break more stuff because the guard will be pushed into parts of the car that otherwise would not be touched by the deer or whatever you hit.

Just find an installed guard and grab and shake it to see how flimsy they are.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
The good ones like Ranchhands are good protection.
I've been wanting to put a Ranchhand on my Tahoe, but they are one of the higher options out there. There are some more, one I can't quite remember... Iron Cross, maybe? They are ridiculously solid and ridiculously expensive, but also look like something out of Mad Max - not really the look I am going for, in spite of the protection.

Small doe did over $3k damage to my Tahoe at around 40MPH with significant braking and speed reduction prior to impact.

And then she got up and ran off. :fullauto:

beastep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I hear you. I dont have any ranchhands but my dad does on 3 of his trucks. Always bumping cows while feeding them. On modern trucks it takes very little to add up to some serious coin on a front end hit.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Its for a F150 I bought. Building one is probably not possible for me. Ill have to see whats out there already

When I said it needs to be built, I was referring to "needs to be built, as in sturdy" not just thin chrome plated tubing. There are some stout prefabbed ones out there. I just happened to mention we built mine, caused a little confusion there sorry :)

Latest posts

Top Bottom