Deer Season 2014

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I put the stalk on a stud this morning. Have lots of trail cam Picts of him. He made the fatal mistake this morning and I got to 47 yards and let the 10 point cross bow go. More Picts will be added later. View attachment 44436

Sent from NSA wire tapped device.

Congrats! I like them kinda racks with all those little spikes down low, you can make some cool looking shelf racks for knives and such.

JonDough

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Finally got the back in shape since the middle weekend of gun season. Went on a DMAP doe hunt this afternoon. 6 minutes into the hunt, three does came into the food plot.
One minute later, she was down.
I was shooting my .270 and sure wasn't happy with the bullet performance. Double lung at 175 yds. Very little damage to the lungs, small exit wound, no blood.
Watched her fall in the CRP grass after a 70 yd run so recovery wasn't a problem.

Winchester Supreme 130 grain ballistic tip. $40 for 20 rounds.

A guy gave me the rounds saying he didn't like them.
I agree with him now.
You can see the only blood in the exit wound.

The doe my son got a few weeks ago was about the same size as that one. She was at 90 yards and he was using a 24" bar .270 with cheap federal soft point 130 gr rounds. (19 Bucks a box) He hit her right directly in the boiler room broadside and it left a normal entrance wound and the exit looked like you had shot a soda can through her. She dropped exactly where she was standing.

I have some of those winchesters you're talking about, and i guess i'll use them for target shootin' or coyotes or something. We've never used any of them deer hunting as we've had really good luck with those cheap federals in the 270's the 06's and my 7mm rem mag gun. I think the farthest shot we've taken with them in the .270 was about 150 yards...but they performed great even out there.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The doe my son got a few weeks ago was about the same size as that one. She was at 90 yards and he was using a 24" bar .270 with cheap federal soft point 130 gr rounds. (19 Bucks a box) He hit her right directly in the boiler room broadside and it left a normal entrance wound and the exit looked like you had shot a soda can through her. She dropped exactly where she was standing.

I have some of those winchesters you're talking about, and i guess i'll use them for target shootin' or coyotes or something. We've never used any of them deer hunting as we've had really good luck with those cheap federals in the 270's the 06's and my 7mm rem mag gun. I think the farthest shot we've taken with them in the .270 was about 150 yards...but they performed great even out there.

I'll never use them on game again. The post Mortem showed a hole through both lungs that had very little hydrostatic damage. Its like the bullet didn't expand. Being a ballistic tip, I was surprised.

The same shot using my 30-06, handloaded 165 grain HPBT would have resulted in a belly full of mush, and an exit wound about 2" in diameter.

Latest posts

Top Bottom