Defensive Scenarios

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Annie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here is a scenario that I practice. One BG is advancing on you and is about four or five yards away, a weapon in his hand. You are concealing your own handgun.

Solve the problem.

OK, I'll take a stab at it. My gun would be out and if he took ONE MORE STEP he'd buy the farm. 4-5 yards away is WAY TOO CLOSE for anyone to be advancing on me with a weapon. I'm old and banged up and I can very easily articulate the fear of great bodily harm or death given the fact that Mr. BG 1) is advancing and 2) has a weapon in his hand.

Chuckie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Here is a scenario that I practice. One BG is advancing on you and is about four or five yards away, a weapon in his hand. You are concealing your own handgun.

Solve the problem.
Instantly fall to the ground faking a heart attack while covertly drawing your weapon and waiting for the BG to lean down to check on you :anyone:

tomthebaker

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've shared my experience before so I won't bore anyone with the details again, but I've drawn my conceal carry on men TWICE. If I had not had the benefit of my experiences while shooting USPSA I would not have been a confident gun handler and I would have been more focused on my gun that what those men were doing. I very likely would have shot the guy the first time because he scared the beejeebus outta me and I would have had my finger on the trigger, NOT on the side of my gun like I learned while shooting under the pressure of the timer in competition.

There are two guys walking around out there who most likely would have eaten a bullet if I had not had USPSA competitions under my belt. Nobody had to say "Shooter Ready" for me to draw my gun on in instances where men I did not know were advancing on me and had NO BUSINESS doing so. This shooter WAS ready -- well except for that time my gun didn't have any bullets in it (Lesson No. 48754350498 -- do not shoot up all your ammo and then go downtown to check your PO box at 10 p.m. at night with the top down on your cute little convertible). But, the guy trying to get into my car didn't know that ... thank goodness he didn't call my bluff.
I'm glad you are ok. Why haven't you considered actual defensive handgun training? I think that would be a much better option.

Annie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm glad you are ok. Why haven't you considered actual defensive handgun training? I think that would be a much better option.

I have taken a couple of classes here in OKC from well-known Instructors in the firearms community here. They are names everyone on this board would know if I told you who they were, and there would be tons of guys coming out of the woodwork to defend these guys. The classes were the biggest waste of my money I have ever encountered. I learned so much more from the guys I shot USPSA with -- many of whom were veterans and police officers who had BTDT.

And before you ask, no I'm not naming names. Not even in a PM. I don't know you and therefore I don't trust you. Sorry, dude. If you think those classes help you, more power to you but I'll take my money elsewhere. It is not my job to pay to pump up *******'s ego. Just my 2 cents.

I'm curious. Have you ever shot a USPSA match??

Last edited:

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
OK, I'll take a stab at it. My gun would be out and if he took ONE MORE STEP he'd buy the farm. 4-5 yards away is WAY TOO CLOSE for anyone to be advancing on me with a weapon. I'm old and banged up and I can very easily articulate the fear of great bodily harm or death given the fact that Mr. BG 1) is advancing and 2) has a weapon in his hand.
What I'm thinking is to move to my ten o'clock or two o'clock while drawing my weapon, and shoot while moving. At that range, I'd likely not use the sights, and my moving might force him (or her) to react to me. This could give me a brief time to take him out.

Annie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What I'm thinking is to move to my ten o'clock or two o'clock while drawing my weapon, and shoot while moving. At that range, I'd likely not use the sights, and my moving might force him (or her) to react to me. This could give me a brief time to take him out.

If I knew I wouldn't trip over my own feet I'd consider that. Graceful is not a word that has ever been used to describe me. I'm 20 times worse when I'm scared. Lol

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have had one class from a national name instructor and I thought he was very good. Then too, like annie, there are well-knowqn folks who give the impressuion that they are rigid and doctrinaire, not to mention downright dangerous. Some regional instructors are very good, and others make me think that they don't know what they are talking about, spouting words that they don't know the meaning of. One of these schools has videos depicting very unsafe practices, and the other is, I think, just getting his own business started, and I just know from a gun forum.

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If I knew I wouldn't trip over my own feet I'd consider that. Graceful is not a word that has ever been used to describe me. I'm 20 times worse when I'm scared. Lol
Annie, hon, you've met me and that is a description of me, too!!

Remember that movie with Dolly Parton and Burt Reynolds The Best Litttle Whorehouse in Texas? The governor was well-known for doing the 'little side-step'. That's what I do. I practice moving sideways, and while I'm not as adept as the governor, I can do it if I have to. I side-step while drawing and shooting. It does take practice.

Latest posts

Top Bottom