Defensive Scenarios

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kwaynem

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I set up my I target in different places like the house barn or garage that has a two rooms on the back wife works nights so it's just me those are the place I might encounter someone while I'm home and I don't use up ammo

tomthebaker

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have taken a couple of classes here in OKC from well-known Instructors in the firearms community here. They are names everyone on this board would know if I told you who they were, and there would be tons of guys coming out of the woodwork to defend these guys. The classes were the biggest waste of my money I have ever encountered. I learned so much more from the guys I shot USPSA with -- many of whom were veterans and police officers who had BTDT.

And before you ask, no I'm not naming names. Not even in a PM. I don't know you and therefore I don't trust you. Sorry, dude. If you think those classes help you, more power to you but I'll take my money elsewhere. It is not my job to pay to pump up *******'s ego. Just my 2 cents.

I'm curious. Have you ever shot a USPSA match??
No, just IDPA. Wait 6 hours to shoot 15 minutes.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Knife or bludgeon.
I think the OKC police solved this issue the other day. Even though the guy advancing toward them with a pipe in his hand could not follow spoken orders as he was deaf, and dumb, he still carried a deadly weapon and obviously saw the taser and the pistol pointed toward him while still advancing.
He wrote his own death obit.
Pistols are piss poor man stoppers. Letting one get too close might just seal your own obit. There are video's all over the internet of folks being shot multiple times with pistols and surviving long enough to cause bodily harm on the person shooting them.
There is a clause in the stand your ground law for disparity of force that allows one to shoot someone attacking them with non firearm weapons that can cause death and that includes fists.

All that being said, I think it's a wise idea to become a member of the Texas Law Shield, or the NRA Carry Guard if you're going to carry open or concealed.
For a tiny monthly fee, you have a bank of attorney's versed in gun laws to support you if you do have to pull the trigger on someone. Otherwise, gaining legal counsel after the fact is going to cost thousands or more in some cases if the DA is a Dick/puss and wants to prosecute outside of the SDA which has happened in OK

Last edited:

D. Hargrove

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Seems that training methodology is dependent on situational understanding. There is more to pulling my pistol and engaging the adversary than moving, pulling the pistol and engaging the target. A mental set of steps you go through prior to engaging the target are as important as stopping the attack. Once you are comfortable deciding whether to pull your pistol or not, then your next step is much easier mentally. Of course there are varying steps to everyone's decision cycle, but the reality is that YOUR situational awareness (SA) of your operating environment is critical to your ability to survive. Just a few thoughts on working your SA to a point that your mind is aware of the following when you are out and about, the decision is then ready to be made in a split second. Sounds simple and common sense huh???

MINDSET - To not be a victim, nor endanger innocents.
(known) LOCATION - in the car, on the street, in a diner, at work, parking lot, hospital, etc.
(known) TIME - morning, afternoon, night, late night
(known) TRAINING (yours) - hand to hand, defensive assault denial, CQC training, defensive pistol, etc.
ADVERSARY and WEAPON - young, old, staggering, wild eyed, man, woman, punk, gun, knife, pipe, baton, brick....
COLLATERAL DAMAGE - innocents, occupied structures, moving vehicles, etc
THE GUT- your guts instinct of the situation (train to trust your gut)

Annie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

I'm sorry but that's ********. I've NEVER been to a USPSA match where I had to wait like that. I realize that the time shooting at any match is less than the time spent pasting, waiting your turn, moving from stage to stage, and reloading and getting ready for the next stage but that time, for me at least, was often when I learned the most.

I used to go with the old man to IDPA matches back when Bob Howard's range was still open here in the City. I was never so bored in my life. Those guys made me so uncomfortable you couldn't pay me to shoot in front of them.

John Bent, out at OKCGC, was who REALLY got me to shooting matches. The old man might have drug me out there kicking and screaming that day, but John was the guy who spent the time to make me feel comfortable and convinced me I didn't have to be a bullseye shooter to be able to have fun, learn something and become a better, more confident gun handler.

D. Hargrove

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
The old man might have drug me out there kicking and screaming
th
I can picture it now... :bowdown:

Annie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Seems that training methodology is dependent on situational understanding. There is more to pulling my pistol and engaging the adversary than moving, pulling the pistol and engaging the target. A mental set of steps you go through prior to engaging the target are as important as stopping the attack. Once you are comfortable deciding whether to pull your pistol or not, then your next step is much easier mentally. Of course there are varying steps to everyone's decision cycle, but the reality is that YOUR situational awareness (SA) of your operating environment is critical to your ability to survive. Just a few thoughts on working your SA to a point that your mind is aware of the following when you are out and about, the decision is then ready to be made in a split second. Sounds simple and common sense huh???

MINDSET - To not be a victim, nor endanger innocents.
(known) LOCATION - in the car, on the street, in a diner, at work, parking lot, hospital, etc.
(known) TIME - morning, afternoon, night, late night
(known) TRAINING (yours) - hand to hand, defensive assault denial, CQC training, defensive pistol, etc.
ADVERSARY and WEAPON - young, old, staggering, wild eyed, man, woman, punk, gun, knife, pipe, baton, brick....
COLLATERAL DAMAGE - innocents, occupied structures, moving vehicles, etc
THE GUT- your guts instinct of the situation (train to trust your gut)

You just said EVERYTHING I know in my heart and mind but didn't know how to get on paper. Because of my experience shooting pistol matches I was able to focus on the threat, NOT how to handle my gun -- i.e., struggle to get it upholstered, have my finger on the trigger BEFORE I was ready to shoot, not have to search for my sights, fiddle with my grip or my stance, and the bazillion other things that come to me naturally now that I struggled with before I shot matches. It is a WHOLE lot different to shoot around barricades, on the move, at targets partially obstructed, etc. than it is to shoot at a piece of paper 30 yards at the back of a lane in an indoor range.

I had the ability to focus on moving, talking targets and respond appropriately, and gauge mentally the point of no return for them and how far they were from that point, as opposed to just yanking my gun out and start firing, hoping I would hit something.

Honestly, I have never been so scared in my life as I was those 2 times. Because in both of those instances I realized that I was NOT gonna let either of them get the opportunity to do to me some of the things I have experienced in the past -- or worse. Both times, after I was safe and sound, I puked my guts up. Because it makes me physically ill to think I am capable of taking another life, even if it is in self defense. I know in my heart of hearts I would second guess myself for the rest of my life. And I likely would feel guilty, too, even if it was a good shoot. Tough as I like to think I am, I am painfully aware that even the scummiest scumbag out there has family and friends that love and adores, and maybe even depend on him/her. It's the collateral damage I would have the most difficulty coming to terms with.

God forbid I ever have to squeeze my trigger off for anything other than fun and games. Amen.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

I understand what your talking about.
All matches depending on the number of participants involves a lot of pasting paper and resetting steel.
Your actual shooting time is very short. 8 stages of USPSA at the last OKCGC had the winning shooter at 92.91 seconds of shooting. (1.54 minutes of actual shooting)
Last place was 915.05 seconds of shooting. (15.25 minutes)
Over 5-6 hours that a match of that size takes to resolve itself, the shooting time is very short proportionally.

Last edited:

Annie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
th
I can picture it now... :bowdown:

Oh you have NO idea! He was in SO much trouble that day. Before going to that match I had NO interest AT ALL in shooting and only went very sparingly and very grudgingly. He drug me out of my nice, warm bed on a cold, wet Saturday after I had spent a 60+ hour workweek on a death penalty appeal case. God, pissed off doesn't even BEGIN to describe it. At one point on the drive out to Arcadia he tried to turn the radio up to drown me out. I shut that thing off and said "Oh no, buddy! You want company while you shoot, you got company and everything that company has to say about it!"

It's a wonder he didn't just shoot me then and kick my dead body out onto the highway. Lol

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The neatest thing I ever learned was how to shoot "wounded."

Here was the drill...with your strong hand, draw your weapon, shoot 6 rounds to slide lock. Now, drop the slide, holster your weapon and put your strong side hand in your back pocket. Then, with your weak hand, reach across, draw your weapon, unload, reload and fire 6 more rounds. If you wanna really get creative, have somebody load your magazine with a few empty casings to induce a malf or two. Enjoy

Latest posts

Top Bottom