Defensive Shotgun: Select-a-slug question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stillhunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So I read a copy of Lois Awerbuck's The Defensive Shotgun, Then I went out and set one up (a ghost ring equipped 870). Now I've had both range time and drills with dummy ammo, and I have a question about the loading drills.

Assume you have just fired a charge of buckshot, then reflexively cycled the action loading another round of buck in the chamber, then find you need to go to a slug because the well-aimed buckshot wasn't effective or the target moved out of buckshot range. You pull a slug from the buttcuff and put it in the magazine.
You now have two options for getting it into the chamber. What do you do and teach?

A. Fire the buckshot, placing an ineffective shot downrange somewhere and accepting the risk that comes with that, then cycling the slug up.
B. Hit the bolt release, momentarily losing the firing grip to do so, and ejecting the live buckshot load onto the ground to cycle the slug up.
C. Something else
D. Drill on both and let circumstances dictate.

Thanks

prdator

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The best thing you could do is actually go get some professional training and then decide which would be best for you to do..

You may decide that a carbine would be better all the way around.

grwd

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
A. -if we are not worried about announcing our position, their is imminent danger that cant wait, and have no particular round accountability issues. Its a thinking mans decision.

B.-if we are in a law enforcement scenario or similar and need the longer range and accuracy of a slug to engage a further target.

However, If you already know that you need a slug and are getting one from a shell carrier of some sort, What I do (as well as others) for a select slug drill is to first shuck the chamber open, and then feed a retrieved slug directly into the chamber.

Ive found that theres more reason to use slugs out of a shotgun than buckshot, so I keep my shotguns stoked up with slugs almost exclusively; and select buck when needed. Or transition to my sidearm.

Reaction score
So I read a copy of Lois Awerbuck's The Defensive Shotgun, Then I went out and set one up (a ghost ring equipped 870). Now I've had both range time and drills with dummy ammo, and I have a question about the loading drills.

Assume you have just fired a charge of buckshot, then reflexively cycled the action loading another round of buck in the chamber, then find you need to go to a slug because the well-aimed buckshot wasn't effective or the target moved out of buckshot range. You pull a slug from the buttcuff and put it in the magazine.
You now have two options for getting it into the chamber. What do you do and teach?

A. Fire the buckshot, placing an ineffective shot downrange somewhere and accepting the risk that comes with that, then cycling the slug up.
B. Hit the bolt release, momentarily losing the firing grip to do so, and ejecting the live buckshot load onto the ground to cycle the slug up.
C. Something else
D. Drill on both and let circumstances dictate.

Thanks

In response to your posted question above there are two Loading/Reloading techniques that I support and teach. I also believe in keeping tactics/drills as simple and streamlined as possible to increase the likelihood of success under the stress of combat, so I suggest you find the technique that works best for you and become very proficient at it.

Tactical Reload:
Simply adding shells to the magazine every time you fire and there is a lull in the action or are needing to select a different load.

---Example;Fire 2 shells, Load 2 shells…ect
Make this a habit and your shotgun will always be ready for the fight.

This same technique is use to change shot selection by simply inserting the new shot selected into the magazine, working the action (ejecting the loaded shell letting it fall to the ground and loading the new load). This works equally well with auto loaders as well as pump action, but this is my choice for select loading an autoloader.

Combat Reload:
Manually insert shell into the chamber and stay in the fight when the weapon has been shot until it is dry or you are loading a selected load.

--With your support hand OPEN the action ejecting the shell, leaving the action open or depress the action release and eject the current load and letting it fall to the ground(which ever applies).
--Place the shell to be loaded between your pinky and index fingers and resting on your middle and ring fingers of your supporting hand. Insert the shell into the Chamber from either Over the Top or from Underneath the weapon (personal preference applies here) in a cupping motion.
Shell Positioning in Hand:
If using the Over the Top method the brass of the shell will be against your index finger and the weapon will need to be canted so the ejection port is facing up
If using the Underneath method the brass of the shell will be against your pinky finger and the weapon will remain in a ready position

Do not worry about the shell that is ejected to the ground because your threat has already exceeded the range or limitations of your current load hence the need to select a load.

As far as discharging a firearm intentionally with the hopes of the projectiles being ineffective; I strongly discourage any practice that drifts away from the concept that every shot fired is accounted for and has an intended destination and purpose to protect yourself or innocent personals from serious bodily injury or death.

Work the drills at the range figure out what works best for you, tweak your weapon setup (i.e. shell holder type/location (if needed)) and Practice Practice Practice. I think you'll find your shotgun the most versatile tactical firearm you have at your disposal.

jimeradams

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
In response to your posted question above there are two Loading/Reloading techniques that I support and teach. I also believe in keeping tactics/drills as simple and streamlined as possible to increase the likelihood of success under the stress of combat, so I suggest you find the technique that works best for you and become very proficient at it.

Tactical Reload:
Simply adding shells to the magazine every time you fire and there is a lull in the action or are needing to select a different load.

---Example;Fire 2 shells, Load 2 shells…ect
Make this a habit and your shotgun will always be ready for the fight.

This same technique is use to change shot selection by simply inserting the new shot selected into the magazine, working the action (ejecting the loaded shell letting it fall to the ground and loading the new load). This works equally well with auto loaders as well as pump action, but this is my choice for select loading an autoloader.

Combat Reload:
Manually insert shell into the chamber and stay in the fight when the weapon has been shot until it is dry or you are loading a selected load.

--With your support hand OPEN the action ejecting the shell, leaving the action open or depress the action release and eject the current load and letting it fall to the ground(which ever applies).
--Place the shell to be loaded between your pinky and index fingers and resting on your middle and ring fingers of your supporting hand. Insert the shell into the Chamber from either Over the Top or from Underneath the weapon (personal preference applies here) in a cupping motion.
Shell Positioning in Hand:
If using the Over the Top method the brass of the shell will be against your index finger and the weapon will need to be canted so the ejection port is facing up
If using the Underneath method the brass of the shell will be against your pinky finger and the weapon will remain in a ready position

Do not worry about the shell that is ejected to the ground because your threat has already exceeded the range or limitations of your current load hence the need to select a load.

As far as discharging a firearm intentionally with the hopes of the projectiles being ineffective; I strongly discourage any practice that drifts away from the concept that every shot fired is accounted for and has an intended destination and purpose to protect yourself or innocent personals from serious bodily injury or death.

Work the drills at the range figure out what works best for you, tweak your weapon setup (i.e. shell holder type/location (if needed)) and Practice Practice Practice. I think you'll find your shotgun the most versatile tactical firearm you have at your disposal.

+1000!

Slammer

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
2300 N Lincoln Blvd, OKlahoma City, OK 73105
Simple. I can pull the trigger a he'll of a lot faster than I can work the action. Send the buck downrange or somewhere safe and get to the slug. If the perp doesn't know where your are and you dontcwant to shoot or cycle the slide to give yourself away unload with your fingers and load it back up with slugs.

Latest posts

Top Bottom