Diopter sight for Swede 96 Installation?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Once I acquire a diopter rear sight for my 96, I am going to need some help getting it installed.

I have a WTB on the appropriate forum and am actively shopping other sources--trying not to break the bank. Darned things are pricy.

Reason for this thread is to ask: Who, locally, should I deal with to get the sight installed?

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Does your M96 already have a set of holes drilled/tapped in the receiver bridge as part of the Swedish FSR treatment? If so, measure the distance center-to-center between the holes and I can narrow down the possible diopter sights that would have been installed. If your M96 does not already have the holes D/T, I would recommend selling the rifle and finding a FSR'ed M96. They're out there, and some will still have the original diopter sight installed; you'd be miles ahead going this route.

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
In addition, you most likely will need to get the front sight that will pair up with whatever diopter you use on the receiver.

Actually, the front sight setup can vary. Some shooters preferred a taller version of the standard military post, while others installed a German post, crosshair, or ring inside of a shroud clamped around the muzzle. For the latter, Anschutz inserts often work nicely if the "original" insert is missing or not to your taste.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'd suggest researching the various diopters that were installed - there were about half a dozen used by the FSR folks through the years. The most common one would be Soderin, and the rarest would probably be Faldt or Hauges. I've used most of them, and I like Elit (without the second "e" which was used on later models). YMMV.

Latest posts

Top Bottom