Distance is addicting

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jcann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am being serious, just don't have a ton to spend right now. Believe me, there's nothing more I'd like than to be able to just throw down on a Cheytac or a Surgeon but it's just not doable right now. Looking for something to get me started. I can always add better parts or change the gun later when funds allow while I work on fundamentals with a "starter" gun.

You don't need a Cheytac or Surgeon. Tell us what an ideal budget starter gun is to you for shooting a little more than midrange, 750 yards. Caliber, action, stock, barrel (twist), trigger, scope.

This will accomplish what you're looking for and later on you can spend all the money you want to build it the way you want it. You can even change the caliber to a 6mm, 6.5 mm, or 7mm. You won't even need to reload for it and you won't shoot the barrel out of it

http://www.milehighshooting.com/remington-rr37327e-700-sps-tactical-20-308-win-84207/

beastep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The Ruger Predator in .243 or 6.5 may be something you will have to look at in your price range. I dont know how heavy a barrel you will need because I dont know how much you will actually shoot it when you are at 750+

Jcann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would stay away from the Ruger and Mossberg traditional bolt actions. If you want something you can build up later these don't have after market support. There is nothing you can't buy for a Remington 700 and with after market parts, time and money you can have a fantastic LR tool. Savage and Tikka are good systems as well but don't have as much support as the Remington.

Normally I would say run with something in 6.5mm but if your going only to 750 yards l feel the 308 would be better suited. Match ammo is cheep and plentiful, you can shoot thousands and thousands of rounds a year and not shoot the barrel out. Recoil is manageable and you can shoot it further than 750 yards. Once the LR bug has taken deep root, buy your parts find a good smith and build what you want on that 0.473" action. You can chamber 6mm, 6.5mm, 7mm,or 308 depending on what you want to accomplish. A 308 is really hard to beat as a first time trainer.

For $1,260 you can get this. The only bad thing is the scope is second focal plain.
https://swfa.com/vortex-4-16x44-viper-hs-t-30mm-rifle-scope.html?___SID=U
http://www.milehighshooting.com/remington-rr37327e-700-sps-tactical-20-308-win-84207/

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What is up with the 1:12 twist on that Remington .308.
I got one of these the other day and i think there is an onlune 75 dollar rebate on it.
http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/sav...ester-bolt-action-rifle#repChildCatid=1320220

But when I hunt pipe line I grab my 30-06. It is about 150 fps faster with the same 155 gr. bullet.
Little less drop at long distances and only about 1/4 moa less than the .308.
But it does kick the snot out of ya.

I have thought about the 6.5 it looks to have the advantage at long distances.. the .308 is just ok to me. and if you can't get in the upper accuracy node it will not work well compared to other rounds.
My Lapua cases do not have enough volume for upper nodes with 168 gr bullets,, that is for my guns though,, all guns are different.

I would grab a 300wm with a brake on it before i would get a .308 for long range shooting. 750+ yards like you stated
You can punch paper and game way out with it.
500 and under,,.308 .223 .243 whatever you have just about.

I got the above .308 because it is cheap and a good gun and can't get hurt on it. light and short fat barrel swings quick and easy and it is threaded.
Too good to pass up.
Shoots really well also. under MOA with a tasco scope.

Jcann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You're missing the whole point. He wants to start shooting long range. 750 yards is well within the envelope of a 308 shooting 168gr bullets. A 1:12 twist will work just fine for this. He also wants to possibly build up later on so a Remington platform would be better suited for this. You don't need a 300wm to shoot 750 yards or even 1000 yards. Any of the 6.5 chambering will accomplish this and give up very little to a 300wm ballisticly. He hasn't mentioned if he reloads or not but he can choose match ammo from Black Hills, Hornady, Winchester, Prime Ammo, Copper Creek, etc.....etc.

I agree with you that the savage is a fine weapon but you'll never get out of it what you put in it

lasher

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
reports of great accuracy with the 130 gr SOST bullet for the 308. they're hard to find and pricey, last time they appeared i got a couple thousand of them

Latest posts

Top Bottom