DIY muzzle recrown?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
i've done a little research about this.some say use a round head brass screw chucked in a drill with a paste made from olive oil and flour. have any of you tried a cheap method with any success. i've got an old yugo mauser that has a couple dinks near the muzzle. the gun isn't worth taking to a smith,i just want to clean it up a little rather thyan a total recrown.

Honeybee

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If it has any really bad nicks inside the barrel tip use a countersink bit in a drill to smooth them out and then you can use very fine (400 or finer) sandpaper to clean up the drill marks, then just polish it to keep it from getting corroded.

If there are no nicks then don't go near it with a drill!!!!!!!

Des547

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Clover brand Fine valve grinding compound on a round headed brass screw chucked in a drill at low speed is the old fashioned way of doing it. As previously stated, don't mess with it unless the dings are enough to mark the bullet as it passes the muzzle on the way out. If the muzzle is just ugly put a postage stamp or so sized piece of fine sandpaper on the muzzle and press down with your thumb and rotate a few times. It will clean up nice.

Des

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
under a magnifying glass the edges just look rough/unfinished. the bore looks good but shots were all over the place. i was even getting some bullet yaw with a certain surplus ammo. i tried the brass screw method but didn't hav any valve compound, just some rubbing compound and it wasn't doing much. i'll get the right stuff today.

jspurgeon

Marksman
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
The fine valve lapping compound and brass screw will work wonders, you can get the compound at auto parts stores. Only thing I can add to the discussion is I run a cleaning patch down the bore and leave it just short of muzzle, that way the compound can't run down the bore.

MauserJoe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Is your Mauser original, or has it been sporterized? I have an old Turkish Mauser that wouldn't group within a foot at a hundred yards, so I sporterized it. I had the barrel shortened 4 1/2", recrowned, drilled and tapped for scope mounts, and had the bolt turned down. All of the gunsmithing work totaled less than $125 and got me a great deer rifle that shoots less than 1-inch groups with my handloads.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is your Mauser original, or has it been sporterized? I have an old Turkish Mauser that wouldn't group within a foot at a hundred yards, so I sporterized it. I had the barrel shortened 4 1/2", recrowned, drilled and tapped for scope mounts, and had the bolt turned down. All of the gunsmithing work totaled less than $125 and got me a great deer rifle that shoots less than 1-inch groups with my handloads.

joe, i have a turk also that i havn't messed with much. its kinda all over the place too and will probably need similar treatment. i'm in the preservation mode now and if i can get one to shoot decent, then thats just a bonus. this yugo had a varnish finish on it complete with fingerprints and runs. stripped it off yesterday and did a BLO treatment 4 times. just trying to get 6 inch groups out of it for now.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i know this may make some cringe but what about the dremel attachment that is a fine grit rock ball? just touch it till the burr looks gone then polish?

jspurgeon

Marksman
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
It seems no matter how tight I hold that dremel, it'll bounce sometime. I wouldn't work on the muzzle of a gun with a dremel, but maybe you're better with on than I am.

Latest posts

Top Bottom