Do not go to Little Joe's Boots in Oklahoma City (Packingtown)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

langston302

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
you bet your ass I still have my Al-Mar SERE.....that is one knife that will never leave my possession. I have such a love for that knife that it has been my duty carry knife for 5 years. Its unstoppable. Everything I have put in front of it has fallen to its power......

IMG_0796.jpgIMG_0797.jpg

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
you bet your ass I still have my Al-Mar SERE.....that is one knife that will never leave my possession. I have such a love for that knife that it has been my duty carry knife for 5 years. Its unstoppable. Everything I have put in front of it has fallen to its power......

View attachment 19195View attachment 19196

:) ...There can be only one... :)

I've been looking at a Hawk pretty hard lately - want a pretty engraved one though.

I mean... c'mon, they're flipping gorgeous (and roughly the same price as the Spyderco Sage 4):

images.knifecenter.com_knifecenter_almar_images_e1002c.jpg

langston302

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
in my mind the SERE is a knife that is really bigger in its performance than many knives could ever be.

The original SERE was designed for just that. S.E.R.E. You see Al-Mar knew a thing or two about what was needed to maximize the knifes performance and utility taking into consideration that it may be the only tool/weapon available you the end user. He designed it to be a do all. It was over built in the 70's and its still over built now.

Thing weighs a ton, has no plastic anywhere on it. Its all stainless steel and g10. The spine of the knife is squared to assist in batoning small wood and use as a striker for firesteels. The Butt of the handle is flat so its easier to use as a hammer in a pinch....yada yada....look all in all I trust this knife to bring me home and do what I need it to do without worrying if its gonna break or fall apart. It wont. Keep it sharp and cut ****.

langston302

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
With the founding of Al Mar Knives, Mar is considered the father of specialty custom/production cutlery and led the way for the trends within the cutlery industry for using custom quality and design in a mass-produced knife. Drawing on his experiences as a lifelong martial artist with black belt rankings in judo and kendo, and his service as a Green Beret, the majority of Al Mar Knives were initially designed for the military and law enforcement communities. However, as the company evolved the designs merged from martial to hunting, fishing, and even kitchen knives.[1]

The Al Mar SERE Knife was the first knife accepted for use by Special Forces Colonel Nick Rowe for the SERE Instructor School at Camp McCall, North Carolina.[6] The SERE was the first factory-made production knife to sell for over US$100.[7]

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sigh... and you my friend, are why I own so damn many folders today (or at least I blame you when the wife rolls her eyes at my knife obsession :D ).

I've been avoiding the SERE because I've convinced myself that I don't need a folder that size/strength (I've sold my ZTs and other larger tank-like-folders for that very reason), but I'm not going to lie, I do catch myself ogling the SERE online and am seriously impressed by the testimony of everyone that owns one.

If I was LEO or .MIL, I would probably own one in a heartbeat, but I find that I enjoy the smaller prettier ones for my EDC cutting tasks (don't really consider any of my folders for self-defense - I suppose I could use one for that if needed, but their primary purpose is just utilitarian cutting).

Still, I won't lie - I've been tempted a time or two to buy one just to see what all the buzz is about. I wish someone local sold Al Mar aside from Sooner State Knives (love that place, but it's too far from me for me to just stop by while I'm out and about).

Even though I'm over my "tacti-cool" knife phase, this one is just bad-ass:

www.soonerstateknives.com_AM_S2KDC_Al_Mar_Digital_Camo_Sere_2000.jpg

Hoov

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Joe is a great guy. Though I have my boots made in Amarillo, I buy jeans there. As soon as I finish my kazillion other projects, I will have Josh make me some spur straps. He does very nice leather work. Check out his holsters.

langston302

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The SERE is a great knife. I carry it more than any other knife I own. I find that as an everyday user it excels over just about anything that I have used. Thats a big friggin statement right there considering how many knives I own and how many I have owned. I mean at one point I was pushing 400 folders such as: Benchmade, Spyderco, ZT, CR, Kershaw, Strider, Buck/Strider, Al-Mar, BlackJack, AG Russel and so on.....I am down to just about 100 with only my spyders and a few seletc knives left.

That is not counting my fixed blades.

Latest posts

Top Bottom