Do Not use Wire Brush!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tran

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
What is the deal with Tikka and them saying that cleaning with a wire brush will affect the accuracy? I dont understand. Patches alone will not get the copper build up out of a barrel.

oneof79

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What is the deal with Tikka and them saying that cleaning with a wire brush will affect the accuracy? I dont understand. Patches alone will not get the copper build up out of a barrel.

There are lots of people that won't use a wire brush on their guns. Believe it or not Hoppes 9 will take copper out of a barrel without a brush if given enough time.
Some say that brushes will help wear out a barrel faster, I don't know. I guess if you're in a big hurry you could chuck up a steel brush in a drill motor and go after it, I wouldn't.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
i don t see how a brass brush can wear a barrel out or even show a significant amount of wear even in a drill.

TonyT

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My 22 LR guns have never seen a bronxe brush . The only method I use to clean them is a piece of monofilament nylon fishing line and a patch soaked in Hoppes #9. KIn my CF guns I will swab trhe bore twice with a bronze brush (NEVER STAINLESS) before using the patch and Hoppes#9.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There are lots of people that won't use a wire brush on their guns. Believe it or not Hoppes 9 will take copper out of a barrel without a brush if given enough time.
Some say that brushes will help wear out a barrel faster, I don't know. I guess if you're in a big hurry you could chuck up a steel brush in a drill motor and go after it, I wouldn't.

Logic says that a bronze, or mild steel brush on a barrel made from 4140, stainless, or chrome lined will have no effect.
There are lots of gun cleaning chemicals out there right now that claim to clean copper without scrubbing. If in doubt try/spend money on one of them.

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Bronze won't hurt the bore, bronze embedded with carbide can and will. I don't brush my rifles until I see degredation in accuracy. Cleaned my 338 after about 350 rounds. Shot it this weekend and the accuracy was back after a couple fouling shots.

Nighthawk

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
BALLISTOL dissolves traces of lead, copper, zinc, brass and tombac, which are used to make projectiles and jackets for them. Residues of these metals will remain in the bore of any firearms as a result of shooting jacketed or unjacketed lead projectiles. The use of BALLISTOL makes scraping or brushing the bore unnecessary. Just pour or spray enough into the barrel and chamber, turn the firearm around several times to allow the liquid to reach all parts and let it "go to work". Later, the residues will then completely be cleaned out.

Due to its alkaline character BALLISTOL is ideal for cleaning and maintaining black powder firearms. BALLISTOL eliminates the need for brutal mechanical scrubbing and aggressive solvents.

Latest posts

Top Bottom