Do you carry with a round chambered?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

If you carry a semi-auto, do you have a round chambered?

• yes

Votes: 349 95.4%
  • no

Votes: 17 4.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

LightningCrash

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Think about the bad habits people create. Did I chamber a round? Am I carrying today without a round? Do I rack the slide when I draw?

Honestly, if a person does have to draw the last thing they need to worry about is if they have a round in the chamber.

yup, it's hard enough to evaluate, extend-safety-off and fire

poopgiggle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
People need to understand that the Israeli Draw exists for a very specific reason that's probably not applicable to them. In the beginning, Israel's armed forces were equipped by a hodgepodge of equipment from other countries, so soldiers were issued many different kinds of sidearms: some were SAO, some were DA/SA, all with all different safeties and such. Rather than train each person to carry every single kind of gun, they came up with the idea of carrying Condition 3 since that method is safe for any kind of slide-operated semiautomatic, and the motion is virtually identical for all of them.

So if you're familiar enough with your carry gun to know what the controls are (and for the love of God I hope you are), carry with a round in the chamber, whether Condition 2 for a DA/SA or DA, or Condition 1 for a SAO.

E: The only time you should carry with a chamber empty is if you're carrying an old cowboy-style revolver without a transfer bar, but I don't think anyone really does that anymore. I secretly hope that I'm wrong though.

bilboben

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I carry with three in the chamber, but I am carrying 3 concealed when that is the case.

Guns do not work when there is not a round in the chamber.

Why would I carry a hammer with no head, or one I had to attach everytime I was going to use it.

It is a tool, know how to carry, deploy and use safely, and all will be good!

El Pablo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Im trying.:sorry1:

Its just that in his day and age, shock value gathers more attention than articulate prose.

In your case, articulate prose would shock me. ;)

I think anyone that answers no to.... Do you carry with a round chambered? Should ask themselves a few questions...

1) Is your semi incapable of being safely carried with a round in the chamber?

If you answer yes, 1) get your firearm fixed, or 2) trash it

2)Are you capable of safely carrying a firearm with a round in the chamber?
If the answer is no, quickly seek proper training.

drvasctii

New to the site!
Reaction score
The only reason that I could see not having a round chambered would be on an old 6-shooter. If you are carrying, then you need to have a round in the pipe as I don't think the bad guy will let you take the time to draw, chamber, and squeeze one off.

neotim

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here's my situation... My favorite carry is my M&P9c. I have 3 kids (4 and under) that I take care of daily. With my M&P on my hip, there are frequent times when my kids will give me a hug or bump into me, and my gun is pointing right at them. Considering the M&P's firing pin is 95% cocked before pulling the trigger, I believe that the M&P could light up a round in case of a mechanical part failure.

Would you hold a chambered M&P (or glock) up to your head and allow someone to whack it with a hammer or fist?

Woodcutter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here's my situation... My favorite carry is my M&P9c. I have 3 kids (4 and under) that I take care of daily. With my M&P on my hip, there are frequent times when my kids will give me a hug or bump into me, and my gun is pointing right at them. Considering the M&P's firing pin is 95% cocked before pulling the trigger, I believe that the M&P could light up a round in case of a mechanical part failure.

Would you hold a chambered M&P (or glock) up to your head and allow someone to whack it with a hammer or fist?

What type of holster are you using? I am trying to picture how the firearm would be pointing right at a child if they hug you, especially if you are sitting in your easy chair. Otherwise, I definitely see your point.

blutch

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Neotim, do you have the thumb safety option? I think that would be a benefit in your situation. I feel better having the thumb safety on when carrying.

B

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom