Do you carry with one in the chamber?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you carry with a round chambered

• Yes, always no safety

Votes: 51 58.0%
  • Yes always with safety on

Votes: 25 28.4%
  • No round chambered

Votes: 4 4.5%
  • My carry gun is a revolver

Votes: 7 8.0%
  • Gun has a manual safety but is not engaged

Votes: 1 1.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

jakeman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I understand that my poll options are flawed. I struggled with how to word them so everyone would have the same understanding of the intent of the poll and it appears I have failed. I will try to edit the options. Thanks for your input.

Tough crowd.

Where you actually went wrong was trying to please everyone here.

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Tough crowd.

Where you actually went wrong was trying to please everyone here.

Nah, it went wrong when he didn't really put the right wording in the poll.

And why would you include a "chamber loaded safe/notsafe" but not a "chamber not loaded safe/notsafe"? :)

And how does "my gun has a manual safety but is not engaged" fit?

edl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A gun without a round in the chamber is known as a club.

That is THE wisdom of the thread.

To the OP-If you need your gun quickly you will want a round in the chamber. If you have to pull your gun in a surreptitious manner, chambering a round will be quite the opposite Of what you want. If you feel you cannot carry with a round chambered, you need a different gun, different holster, or training. Or maybe some combination of the three.

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That is THE wisdom of the thread.

To the OP-If you need your gun quickly you will want a round in the chamber. If you have to pull your gun in a surreptitious manner, chambering a round will be quite the opposite Of what you want. If you feel you cannot carry with a round chambered, you need a different gun, different holster, or training. Or maybe some combination of the three.

It will be like racking a shotgun, as soon as everyone hears it they will run... :)

Rustygun

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I am the original poster of this poll. I have concluded that I may have a different understand of some of the terms involved and there are an astonishing number of options available.

My carry gun is a Glock 19 and is IWB every time I leave the house. No manual safety and I always carry with a round chambered. I have taken many hours of handgun specific training and shoot about 200 rounds a week from holster mostly in a move and shoot IDPA style course of fire. Certain it not the level of experience or training of some on thIs forum.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rustygun... Sounds like you're pretty squared away to me in your mode of carry and your training/preparedness.

A lot of guys struggle with this question and everyone has an opinion. I fall into the "why carry without a round in the chamber?" group, regardless of the gun. Doesn't make sense to me but maybe it does for some.

One thing people rarely think about is mindset. You have to be mentally prepared to use the gun immediately if the need arises. Chambered or not, if you can't make the decision to do what has to be done, it isn't gonna matter.

Fortunately, it's a decision most of us prepare for but few of us will really have to make.

Rustygun

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
One thing people rarely think about is mindset. You have to be mentally prepared to use the gun immediately if the need arises. Chambered or not, if you can't make the decision to do what has to be done, it isn't gonna matter.

you are 100% right on this. This has two parts for me. The training has to be extensive enough that clearing garments, drawing the gun, acquiring sights, all has to be automatic because it will happen so fast your focus needs to be on assessing the situation and deciding if/when to pull the trigger. The second part is mindset, If everything else fails you have to be prepared to take action..violent action, that may haunt you the rest of your life. But you or your loved ones will be alive and safe.

Latest posts

Top Bottom