Do you carry with one in the chamber?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you carry with a round chambered

• Yes, always no safety

Votes: 51 58.0%
  • Yes always with safety on

Votes: 25 28.4%
  • No round chambered

Votes: 4 4.5%
  • My carry gun is a revolver

Votes: 7 8.0%
  • Gun has a manual safety but is not engaged

Votes: 1 1.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Catt57

Gill-Gun Guru
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think a lot of it has to do with confidence. Both in yourself and your gear.

When I first started carrying I was very nervous about having a round chambered. As I became more comfortable with the idea and the firearm, I realized it had more to do with the holster I was using at the time. It was a plain (cheap) leather holster that didn't offer any retention. Once I got a decent Kydex holster I felt much more confident about safely carrying with one in the chamber as I wasn't afraid of the firearm falling out anymore. At first I carried with the safety on, but as time has gone by, I am now confident enough that it isn't going anywhere that I leave the safety off.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for your efforts to make it better.

Get used to that around here. lol.

Lots of options, lots of opinions, different levels of experience and comfort. Plenty of people around here who will line up to tell you how wrong you are, regardless of the topic or your level of expertise.

Buncha grumpy old men up in hurr....

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
1911 Condition One always no exceptions. Learned my lesson carrying a Springfield XDM and was in an attempted car jacking. My off hand was real busy and pointing empty gun did not have desired effect and the cretin was not aware it was not loaded. Did not care. It was somewhat effective when driven into offenders eye socket forcefully several times. Guy plead out to time served and entering a drug program

I guess I'm not understanding your post.

You used to carry an unloaded XDM thereby proving DRC458's comment about being a club? I understand fighting with the perp with your offhand being busy. What was the empty gun part? Did you have an empty gun or the cretin? You inserted your empty XDM into his eye socket?

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I am the original poster of this poll. I have concluded that I may have a different understand of some of the terms involved and there are an astonishing number of options available.

My carry gun is a Glock 19 and is IWB every time I leave the house. No manual safety and I always carry with a round chambered. I have taken many hours of handgun specific training and shoot about 200 rounds a week from holster mostly in a move and shoot IDPA style course of fire. Certain it not the level of experience or training of some on thIs forum.

Your gun does have a manual safety, the trigger cannot be depressed unless the tang in the center of it is depressed, that is a manual safety.

You are talking about an external, manual safety selector, a lever on the side of the gun that places the gun in safe, or fire mode. Might seem like semantics but it is not, your Glock has a safety, just not an external, manual safety selector.

A gun with no manual safety is a Kel-Tec P3AT, the only safety on that gun is the 12lb trigger pull.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ok. If you're carrying a gun with an empty chamber, then you are carrying an empty gun.
So what's the point in this thread?

Well, if you already know everything, probably no point to hanging around. Maybe others don't know everything or they read something they never thought of.

Ignored Member

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Well, if you already know everything, probably no point to hanging around. Maybe others don't know everything or they read something they never thought of.

Well, if you're going to carry a gun, you need to have at least enough common sense enough to know that if a situation occurs where you may need to strip that pistol from the holster, you may already be in a physical altercation that won't allow you to use 2 hands to rack a round in the chamber and therefore you're using 1 hand to draw an unloaded gun and now you're in deeper $#!t

Now please feel free to tell me the positive merits of carrying a gun unchambered.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well, if you're going to carry a gun, you need to have at least enough common sense enough to know that if a situation occurs where you may need to strip that pistol from the holster, you may already be in a physical altercation that won't allow you to use 2 hands to rack a round in the chamber and therefore you're using 1 hand to draw an unloaded gun and now you're in deeper $#!t

It's not a matter of common sense. If it were common sense the majority of people, with no gun experience, would be able to pick up a gun and carry it proficiently. As a matter of fact, if it were just common sense, people would be able to perform any number of tasks that otherwise take certain knowledge and skills to perform. Obviously, that's not the case.

It's a matter of training and education.

Latest posts

Top Bottom