Do you have a Bug out Bag? What's in it?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've been thinking about what to put in one myself, but haven't come up with anything definite.

I want to design something that fills these basic needs.

Food
Water
Shelter
Heat
Protection
Communication

These are not listed in any order of priority. It has to be flexible.

ThomasA

New to the site!
Reaction score
My best advice would be to try a little camping (not car camping). I've noticed there are very few differences between my camping bag and my BoB. Just remove the tent, sleeping bag, folding campfire grill, and a few other little odds and ends and that's my BoB. Also, camping will tell you what you do and don't need in your bag. Like having 5-10 knives and no toilet paper. Or that 500 feet of paracord is probably a little overboard. And that you can actually live off of a LOT less than you think you can.

Main items crucial to survival in my kit:
-Water purification. Don't rely on one method. If you can't hydrate you're dead. Iodine tabs, esbit stove with trioxane tabs and a metal container to boil with, small MSR or Katadyn backpacking water purifiers.
-Shelter, I don't pack a tent in my BoB but I do have one that I can grab if I decide I'd need it. Chances are in a bug out scenario you're going to another location that is at least somewhat inhabitable. But paracord and zipties will make a perfectly good lean-to with branches and foliage. And weighs about 7lbs less than a tent.
-Food. I carry mostly dehydrated foods, and maybe an MRE or two. Stuff high in carbs and protein like Tuna packets, instant mashed potatos, clif bars (or similar), trail mix with nuts. You probably think you need more food than you actually do. If you're footing it without much time to stop and eat, trail mix and clif bars are good while hoofing it until you can stop.
-Clothing layers (depending on season). If you find yourself outside exposed to the elements, even in the fall, health issues can arise from not having the clothing necessary to stay dry and warm. And if you're on foot you will sweat, then night fall hits and if not a risk to your health, it will at least make it a very unhappy uncomfortable night. Also other things like emergency blankets and hand/foot warmers are very compact and it's good to have a few in your pack.

other stuff:
fire starters, medical kit, fixed blade, multi-tool, firearm, extra mag (notice I didn't say extra 200rds).

It's been 6 months since I've been home so I know I'm leaving out a bunch-o-crap.
-Thomas

RedTape

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My main thought would be to not go overboard and end up with something too heavy that's going to weigh you down. Go with a nice sil tarp and ultralight hammock instead of a tent, maybe only one change of clothes with extra socks/underwear. A small MSR pot you can cook and drink out of rather than a whole cook set.

The basics: a multitool and knife. A couple ways to start a fire, basic fishing gear for food, water purification, compass, rope, etc. a lot of stuff would be nice, but it's pretty easy to end up with a 45-50 lbs pack and I'd rather stick to the basics and have a 25 lbs pack.

About the only thing I double up on are knives and fire starters because those are the two things I really don't want to be without. It's also good to do a couple overnighters with minimal gear and adjust to your needs...it's really nothing more than backpack camping.

walker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Dont forget baby wipes and powder, seriously. If youve ever have to hike a long way while chapped you'd give about anything for a little releif.

kennedy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Holy balls you don't have all that do you? I do agree that when the S hits the F I am not worried about clean clothes. Not even underwear. Socks are what concern me. You could get 4 days out of one pair of underwear easy.

Hump and myself are good friends and with that list of pack contents, let's just say.....we win against the zombies.

On a serious note...Yes his pack is heavy, but I don't see in a SHTF situation most people having to "hike" very long distances. My supplies are heavy and many(family of 3). I just need to get them close to a location and hike them into my site. Most people will lighten their load to go out exploring and scavenging anyway. I have some of the larger Harding cases to carry the food and some other supplies and it takes 2 people to carry it, but I have enough items in it to support a nice base camp. From there I can lighten the load to a small mission specific pack to gain additional supplies and to conduct patrols. One main item most people overlook is toilet paper...buy yourself a decent foodsaver vacuum sealer and use it to seal toilet paper. Remove the carboard middle and put it in a vacuum bag and seal it. This will not only keep it dry, but it will also reduce the size and the space needed in the pack.

Other items most people have not thought of:

1. Powdered Gatorade(loaded with electorlites and also changes the taste of water everyday as well as hides the flavor of some of the nastier tasting additives to purify the water)
2. Toilet paper
3. Candy if you have kids(suckers...lifesavers)
4. Some form of entertainment(travel games, roll out checkers etc)
5. Whatever pack you have, get a rain cover for it

Just a few...feel free to add more suggestions

Latest posts

Top Bottom