Do you have a Bug out Bag? What's in it?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UnSafe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not much of a prepper, but lived out of a rucksack (and suffered under a-) for weeks and occasionally a month or more at a time.

I don't see guns, ammo and firearm mantainance stuff on the list. Carried on person? Point being that weapons and ammo are heavy. Fail to figure their weight into your total carried weight and it'll either slow you down or lead to dumping items to reduce the load.

Water, heavy as well and easy to consume a gallon or more per day if moving or working. Depending on where you are, this might be a moot point, but- carry, filter, purify or whatever, you gotta have it.

Bungees (better than suspension line) and ponchos or plastic tarps make great rain and sun resistant, short term shelters. Great, in the middle of a nasty thicket where others avoid going.

ThomasA

New to the site!
Reaction score
You can make a shelter off of zipties alone. Definitely work having in your kit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbr7an1RZIo

I think it's important to prep your kit for a long hike. Think about mass histeria, jammed highways, abandoned vehicles, roads and vehicles completely useless.

other things I forgot to mention. Just a few little tricks.
-Unroll a roll of toilet paper and wrap it around a piece of cardboard (save room)
-or use the infamous Hoo-ah wipes (baby wipes, but camo packaging makes it manlier)
-Coil paracord in the bottom of a nalgene pouch and run the end out the bottom drain hole. Then you can just pull it out and snip it off as needed.

caojyn

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Trangia alcohol stove
aluminum windscreen / stand
6" Snow Peak titanium pan
Snow Peach short spork

32 ounce flash full of ethanol "Fuel"
iodine water purification tablets
chlorine water purification tablets

Kukri Machete
ultralight spade
Buck 110 pocket knife
500rds 22lr
2 X 30ft paracord drawstring bags.
2 X Nalgene

1 box powerbars 12
3 Mountainhouse Backpacking Food packs (6 Meals)
light sleeping bag/ wool blanket
wool socks
First Aid kit

Dog's Bug Out Bag

6 cans optimal calorie dog food
collapsing Water/Food Dish
dog boots

Buckh1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Generally I carry a get home bag. Light so I can get moving fast. I don"t plan to be out long. If traveling out of the area I"ll modify it.

tharper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Remington backpack($28 walmart special)
2 small water bottles
Water purification tabs
Solid First Aid kit
Hawkes Green Beret Survival Manual(heavy as hell, but too much good info to leave behind)
100'ish feet of 550' cord(real 550 cord, as in stuff that the gov uses for chutes)
Garmin 12xl handheld GPS
50 rounds of 45 and 50 rounds of 9mm(probably swap the 45 for rifle ammo)
Survival knife(looks like a KBAR)
2x thermal blankets
2x ponchos
Compass
Magnesium Firestarter
Extra zip lock bags
Package of petroleum jelly soaked cotton balls
Candle in a can
SOG Multitool(Thanks to whoever dropped it in a parking lot in Kuwait about 10 years ago when my pops was there)
LED Flashlight
2x finger saws
Signaling mirror
Distress marker(flashing strobe, handheld)
2 tubes, about the size of a film canister, windproof matches, 26 each with striker on the lid
Packaged water(enough to last 3-4 days for 2 people)
Big ass roll of green duct tape
That's it at the moment. Haven't bought anything in a few months for it. Still lacking things like batteries, food, and things like that. Need to get my hands on some MRE's to keep in another bag. 5-6 of them should be good for a short stint. I know where we'd go if SHTF, and there's running water from a river and in a very secluded area. I'm sure there is deer and other critters around to feed myself with.

As for another bag, I'll probably put one together that has the rest of the 'necessities' in it that the wife could easily carry. Leave it near our important documents in case we have to take off prior to a bad storm or something similar. Insurance documents and what not might be very important :D Also need to add things for the dogs. They won't be left behind for any reason.

Serenity Bushcraft

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I decided against the BOB idea a long time ago. Now I have an I.N.C.H. (I'm Not Coming Home) Bag that is ready and waiting. It is a backpackers pack that has everyting that I would need to live out of for a long time. The bag has clothing, food, snares, traps, a huge first aid kit, sleeping gear, a bivy sack, cooking gear, a tarp (made out of tyveck), extra stove fuel, water purificating pump, a liter of chlorine to purify water, lots of socks, cold weather gear, rain gear, cord, a brick of 22LR ammo, a Ruger 10/22 Take Down with 4 25 round magazines and 120 rounds of Hornady 9mm +P FTX ammo for my Glock 26, 19 or 17 (Depends on the situation what gun would go), weapon cleaning gear, an lots of tools like a file, saw, hatchet, e-tool, multi tool +binos, a set of walki-talkies, weather radio, flashlights and extra batteries. I have probably left some stuff out but the bag is in the 65 pound range without water loaded up and is easy to carry. Watch what the backpackers are carrying around and they can save you tons of weight over using military gear. I have carried about the same weight with about the same gear on two week backpacking trips in Yosemite park and everything went great. All I did was replace the climbing gear with guns and ammo and the weight is now about the same. I also have $300.00 in small bills stashed in the bag just in case things are still for sale when I leave my home and I also have copies of all the important documents that I might need down the line. CHEERS

coolhandluke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Food. I carry mostly dehydrated foods, and maybe an MRE or two. Stuff high in carbs and protein like Tuna packets, instant mashed potatos, clif bars (or similar), trail mix with nuts. You probably think you need more food than you actually do. If you're footing it without much time to stop and eat, trail mix and clif bars are good while hoofing it until you can stop. Thomas

Is it safe to carry Tuna packets in non-temp controlled environments like a vehicle or can freezing and thawing possibly cause it to go bad?

Latest posts

Top Bottom