Do you open carry?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

undeg01

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Most often CC under a shirt or a jacket. At Christmas, I inadvertently was carrying open in Walmart. I took my jacket off and didn't even give it a thought. No one said a thing until I was checking out and the cashier (30's something woman) said, "Oh. You're carrying a weapon!" I thought, "Here we go." Then she said, "I love shooting. I have friends coming in for the holidays and we are going to spend New Years on the range." Ended up being a good conversation. That's the only time anyone has ever commented to me one way or the other.

Okie4Life

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I never have.. But have been tempted to.

I prefer to always have my shirt tucked in. I carry a M&P 40c IWB. This time of year it is easy to keep the shirt tucked in and have a fleece or jacket layer cover.
When I get warm the over layer comes off leaving me OC with an IWB. My wife is not comfortable with it, so I try not to go in public like that.

IF i was going to OC regularly I would be more comfortable with some sort of retention holster. Just personal preference really.

cody6766

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I never do. I just don't want the extra looks, and there are too many places I go that have gun buster signs. Call it a style thing, but I also don't like things just bumping out on my waistline. I don't like the look of cellphone belt clips, or anything else hanging there. I don't think there's anything wrong with it, but it's not for me.

HonkyTonkHale

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I do not open carry because I just do not see the benefit in it (for me). I am glad that I do not have to worry about being hassled if my coat blows open or my rig is exposed accidentally. I am usually in and out of restaurants or businesses, and I do not want to have check the door each time to see if they allow open or concealed carry.

OKCShooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
For those that carry open...why?

Not being a Smarta$$, honestly just curious.

I'm glad we are able to do so (mainly in case my CC gets accidentally exposed through a wardrobe malfunction) but carrying open just seems to be drawing attention to oneself.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For those that carry open...why?

Not being a Smarta$$, honestly just curious.

I'm glad we are able to do so (mainly in case my CC gets accidentally exposed through a wardrobe malfunction) but carrying open just seems to be drawing attention to oneself.

I dont like the attention either but I would rather open carry than change the way I dress all summer. I'll conceal it with a winter coat during those months. Before open carry was law, I found myself not carrying at all because I couldnt conceal well enough. IWB is out of the question for me and so are pocket guns. Sometimes the attention in interesting to observe but thats a minor novelty.

WNM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I did one time just to exercise my right to. Nobody said anything, no swat teams were called. I prefer CC.

SM Rider

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
OC with a few situations where CC gets around gun buster signs. Most people are oblivious to my carrying open. The few times anyone has noticed the comments have been positive.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I CC mostly, but if I've been running with my runngun gear, I usually just keep the pistol OC as I wheeze in to wherever to get some Gatorade, or go for a meal. Never a negative comment.

Latest posts

Top Bottom