Do you open carry?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oklaccer

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For those that carry open...why?

Not being a Smarta$$, honestly just curious.

Short answer - because I can.
Longer answer - I am willing to give up "the element of surprise" for the strategic advantage of sending the criminal to another victim. Criminals want a soft target, and that won't be me. In a street crime, the criminal owns the element of surprise anyway, he is the only one that knows what is about to happen and when he makes his move, you are just reacting at that point.
While I acknowledge the "first to get shot" is a possibility, historically the chances of that happening are closer to -0- than getting struck by lightning or getting hit by a meteorite.
OC/CC/NoC is a very emotional issue and each person needs to do what is right for them. Whichever you choose, I support you.

p238shooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
CC with SigP238 less and less. Carry a 1911 more and more. I used to belt carry my 1911 with just a T-Shirt hanging over the top of it most of the time. Never had a comment even though the bottom was visible with shorter shirts most of the time if someone were looking for it after OC passed. I frequently wear T-Shirts even in the winter.

I picked up a used SuperTuck to try for when I wear a regular long sleeved shirt that I needed to tuck in with the 1911. Just wore it around the house quite a while to get used to it before making a decision. I just drape the T-Shirt over it, but the bottom is not visible like before. You have to fiddle with it to get the wrinkles right to tuck your shirt in over it, but it tucks very well for a 1911 CC.

I love it. Couple of things. In my past life I was used to wearing a tool pouch on that side most days, so a 1911 is no different just lighter. Second, I really need size 35 Jeans. In the morning the 36's are OK, but by mid afternoon as they stretch out, my SuperTuck and 1911 take up the slack. Works for me.

I have never felt a need to fully OC intentionally in public, but do not have a problem with it slightly showing, most of the time.

twoguns?

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
CC with SigP238 less and less. Carry a 1911 more and more. I used to belt carry my 1911 with just a T-Shirt hanging over the top of it most of the time. Never had a comment even though the bottom was visible with shorter shirts most of the time if someone were looking for it after OC passed. I frequently wear T-Shirts even in the winter.

I picked up a used SuperTuck to try for when I wear a regular long sleeved shirt that I needed to tuck in with the 1911. Just wore it around the house quite a while to get used to it before making a decision. I just drape the T-Shirt over it, but the bottom is not visible like before. You have to fiddle with it to get the wrinkles right to tuck your shirt in over it, but it tucks very well for a 1911 CC.

I love it. Couple of things. In my past life I was used to wearing a tool pouch on that side most days, so a 1911 is no different just lighter. Second, I really need size 35 Jeans. In the morning the 36's are OK, but by mid afternoon as they stretch out, my SuperTuck and 1911 take up the slack. Works for me.

I have never felt a need to fully OC intentionally in public, but do not have a problem with it slightly showing, most of the time.

This^^^^^ plus every year it seems I have less and less ....butt, add bug to other side and I'm even ...again...ha... ;)

Phw

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would never open carry....makes zero sense. Why would I want to provide a potential adversary any type of advantage by seeing my weapon. The difference in time to get my weapon in battery between open carry and concealed is negligible.

I agree - I think it gives the bad guys/girls a heads up. I believe it gives me a clear advantage to carry concealed - that's what I want.

hrdware

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For those that carry open...why?

Not being a Smarta$$, honestly just curious.

Short answer - because I can.
Longer answer - I am willing to give up "the element of surprise" for the strategic advantage of sending the criminal to another victim. Criminals want a soft target, and that won't be me. In a street crime, the criminal owns the element of surprise anyway, he is the only one that knows what is about to happen and when he makes his move, you are just reacting at that point.
While I acknowledge the "first to get shot" is a possibility, historically the chances of that happening are closer to -0- than getting struck by lightning or getting hit by a meteorite.
OC/CC/NoC is a very emotional issue and each person needs to do what is right for them. Whichever you choose, I support you.

^^^This. And I prefer to tuck my shirt in and not have to wear a cover garment. I find it is just more comfortable, and I'm not fighting my shirt to draw from concealment. No matter how much I practiced drawing, I always seem to get my some part of my hand or gun caught in my shirt when it is a cover garment.

oklaccer

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Crazy people don't care about confrontation. If they see your gun, they are more likely to target you when pulling theirs.

Possibility, Probability, or Historical data?
The possibility exists that you will be the first target. When you look at probabilities and historical data, the chances are effectively zero. There is a person on another forum that is offering a substantial reward to document a case where an every day citizen was targeted first for carrying openly.

Latest posts

Top Bottom