Do you open carry?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OKNewshawk

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Possibility, Probability, or Historical data?
The possibility exists that you will be the first target. When you look at probabilities and historical data, the chances are effectively zero. There is a person on another forum that is offering a substantial reward to document a case where an every day citizen was targeted first for carrying openly.
Does the Diane Sawyer hit piece on 20/20 count?

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What probabilities and historical data are you looking at?
I can't find much hard data on this at all but its common sense to me if you look at patterns of different robberies, home invasions, rapes, etc. On thing I see most common is the bad guy wants every advantage to avoid getting his ass kicked. The small women and old people are top targets and there is hard data on that. Maybe the bad guy has help from one or more guys to gain an advantage. Bad guys are largely cowards. Patterns of their behavior shows us this. Of course there are exceptions to this. Like the guys tweaked out on drugs and think they are 10' tall and bullet proof or as mentioned earlier, crazy people. But I could argue about crazy people being cowards and wanting no confrontation as well. The dude that shot up the movie theatre in CO is bat **** crazy IMHO and he chose a Gun free zone to do his killing. He didn't want anyone shooting back. When's the last time a bad guy walked into a police station and went off with a full mag? Never likely but it may have happened in some rare instance.
They want a soft target, no gun shooting back, no big muscle heads that can beat their ass...
I believe to understand their patterns and behavior you have to think like them. Does a criminal want to rob a bank with 2 big strapping armed guards or a bank that's got a 60 year old rent a cop? Easy answer. Does a robber want to walk in a dinner that advocates open carry activities inside knowing everyone has guns and they shoot often? Easy answer.
I have seen stories where a pair of hoodlums appeared to be casing a place and after walking in and seeing a few hip mounted guns, they immediately left to probably find a softer target.

nofearfactor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I can't find much hard data on this at all but its common sense to me if you look at patterns of different robberies, home invasions, rapes, etc. On thing I see most common is the bad guy wants every advantage to avoid getting his ass kicked. The small women and old people are top targets and there is hard data on that. Maybe the bad guy has help from one or more guys to gain an advantage. Bad guys are largely cowards. Patterns of their behavior shows us this. Of course there are exceptions to this. Like the guys tweaked out on drugs and think they are 10' tall and bullet proof or as mentioned earlier, crazy people. But I could argue about crazy people being cowards and wanting no confrontation as well. The dude that shot up the movie theatre in CO is bat **** crazy IMHO and he chose a Gun free zone to do his killing. He didn't want anyone shooting back. When's the last time a bad guy walked into a police station and went off with a full mag? Never likely but it may have happened in some rare instance.
They want a soft target, no gun shooting back, no big muscle heads that can beat their ass...
I believe to understand their patterns and behavior you have to think like them. Does a criminal want to rob a bank with 2 big strapping armed guards or a bank that's got a 60 year old rent a cop? Easy answer. Does a robber want to walk in a dinner that advocates open carry activities inside knowing everyone has guns and they shoot often? Easy answer.
I have seen stories where a pair of hoodlums appeared to be casing a place and after walking in and seeing a few hip mounted guns, they immediately left to probably find a softer target.

Yess.

This is mainly why I have adopted what I call the 'hoodlum' or prison issue look in my daily dress for many years now. I am definitely more financially stable than how I come off on outward appearances, but that is so deliberate. I learned how to 'dress down' to avoid being a victim back when I first moved to Oakland CA in the late 80s while going to school in San Francisco but couldnt afford to live 'over' there at the time. I learned to wear the same clothes I saw most thugs wearing and find you can basically just fit right in. It is strategic and it does work, and in this crazy world we live in every edge you gain and can master against being victimized is a small victory in itself. I have been friends with some real fckheads over the years and know for a fact that most victims do get targeted by their looks, age, fitness level, clothes they wear, cars they drive, house they live in, etc as to whether they would make a good target for carjackers, robbers, burglars, etc. They see their victims randomly in public and then decide whether to follow you, accost you, carjack you, burgle your house, etc. The war is between the haves and the havenots. They dont want to work hard like we do and buy their own stuff. They look at your property as theirs already- you are only keeping it for them for when theyre ready to come by and pick it up. They know by appearances who has money, who might have a gun whether its concealed or not, who looks like someone who will not only fight back but kick their azzes, etc. These guys are not rocket scientists but they are genius's in a way by being masters of social study, they people watch and analyze social behavior like nobodys business, especially ex cons. When I go to meet people on my many Craisglist deals or whatever I am dressed down and keep to a rigid routine and so far every meet has been without incident. My wife knows me and my strict routine but still worries about me. When I usually get to these meets I find I look like the guy the wife pictures me going to meet, lolll. Alot of times I give certain people advice on how NOT to show up to these meets and get robbed, etc. A lot of people really are naive or just not aware that our world is as fcked up as it is.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
One of the most interesting reactions I've gotten while open carrying a 1911 - and I dont carry for shock factor but the people watcher in me makes me aware. I want at advance auto on sw29th east of may. Anyone who knows the area knows its not an area to lose your situational awareness in. Bought a starter and they guy at the counter had to go back and find it. Meanwhile an older gentleman came in (white guy about 55) and stood right next to me waiting to be helped. I seen him eyeing the gun then he broke into talk about the weather. Never mentioned the gun.
The clerk (Hispanic) can back and soon asked what kind of 1911 I had. We chatted for a few seconds about 1911s and all the while there were 3 guys (also Hispanic and dressed down) standing in line behind me a good 15', almost by the door. They wouldn't come any closer until I left the register.
3 completely different reactions from 5 people in about 5 minutes. Guess who the thugs were in this story from patterning (not from race alone but that has to be factored in IMO)

120 Acres

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
One of the most interesting reactions I've gotten while open carrying a 1911 - and I dont carry for shock factor but the people watcher in me makes me aware. I want o advance auto on sw29th was of may. Canyon who knows the area knows its not an area to lose your situational awareness in. Bought a starter and they guy at the counter had to go back and find it. Meanwhile an older gentleman came in (white guy about 55) and stood right next to me waiting to be helped. I seen him eyeing the gun then he broke into talk about the weather. Never mentioned the gun.
The clerk (Hispanic) can back and soon asked what kind of 1911 I had. We chatted for a few seconds about 1911s and all the while there were 3 guys (also Hispanic and dressed down) standing in line behind me a good 15', almost by the door. They wouldn't come any closer until I left the register.
3 completely different reactions from 5 people in about 5 minutes. Guess who the thugs were in this story from patterning (not from race alone but that has to be factored in IMO)

You loco gringo.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
The only time I will open carry is when I am on private property fishing, shooting, or hunting. I am a bit paranoid and feel that OC paints a huge bullseye not only on my back, but also on my gun. Retention or not, a gun is just as easy to steal a wallet or a purse.

Also, due to my girlfriend carrying concealed in her purse I feel that if one of us were to open carry it would just make the other just as much of a target.

Latest posts

Top Bottom