Do you run a battery cut off in your bass boat?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I keep mine plugged into an onboard charger to charge the batteries but it is an aluminum boat I recently learned about "electrolysis" and wondered in this was really necessary?

Also, since the TM battery (only one right now) is only for the TM, is the starting battery the only battery that would need the cut off or would you want to shut off both if you did need the switch?

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a battery cut off for my trolling motor batteries. The 3 bank battery charger is wired in on the batteries. Before I plug in the battery charger, the batteries are disconnected from the trolling motor using the disconnect. It is recommended by the trolling motor manufacturer.

LBnM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My Lund came with a master power switch which cuts off all except for the TM batteries. My TM batteries are connected to an on board charger which is normally plugged in. It's worked for me for almost 15 years that way.

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My Lund came with a master power switch which cuts off all except for the TM batteries. My TM batteries are connected to an on board charger which is normally plugged in. It's worked for me for almost 15 years that way.

Why doesn't it also cut off the TM batteries??? I have a cutoff in my other non-fishing boat and I still run an onboard wired straight to the batteries so they can be charged even when the switch is off.

I just need to figure out if I need to run a cutoff for each battery, or if just one for the starting battery will work? Not sure if there is a way to run a single cutoff that can accommodate both batteries (and maybe another added later)?

LBnM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My 2 bank charger is either plugged in and charging or unplugged with the tm plugged in. My starting battery seldom need charged and when it does I use a separate charger. That's the way Lund and Minn Kota recommend for a 2 bank charger.

DFX

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Your trolling motor should be disconnected from the batteries when not in use.
Use a cut-off switch or a plug and receptacle or disconnect the TM wires from
battery. On a permanent install a circuit breaker is also required on the positive wire.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Absolutely. The best two additions to any boat are a master cutoff switch and an automatic bilge pump. It only takes one time having dead batteries when you’re ready to go fishing and it only takes one time forgetting to put the plug in your boat for these two fairly inexpensive additions to pay off!

Latest posts

Top Bottom