Does anyone carry with FMJ bullets?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What type of ammo do you use in you CCW?

• FMJ

Votes: 47 11.6%
  • JHP

Votes: 358 88.4%

• Total voters

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
keltec p3aT in fmj and until I ever load some hp's myself or find some for well under $38 a box. fmj will kill it just as dead, especially with the 3 coming behind it. so does anyone have any dies to trade or brass?

BigRed82

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't know. I have a 1926 Colt 1911 that has never had any performance work on it and it has shot LSWC and Gold Sabers without a hiccup. As far as reliability goes, the only .45acp hollow points that I would carry would be the Golden Sabers since they have a profile that's not too far from FMJ. Those that might have a shoulder or a flatter nose, I would probably stay away from if I had a choice.

+1. I am a pretty big Golden Saber fan, but Winchester's RA45TP and Speer Gold Dots are also excellent choices IMO. I'll carry any of those three - preferably the Winchesters. The Rem Sabers are just generally easier to find.

mln1963

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What about the Federal Expanding Full Metal Jacket bullets?

From the Federal site:
An ideal choice for agencies that don't permit hollow point ammunition, this revolutionary barrier-penetrating design combines a scored full metal nose over an internal rubber tip that collapses on impact. It never fills with barrier material and assures expansion on every shot. A lead core at the base maintains weight retention. Also an ideal personal defense option.

http://www.thegunzone.com/efmj.html

http://le.atk.com/general/federalproducts/pistol/tacticalefmj.aspx

They look like the best of both worlds: nice expansion (less over penetration?) and reliable feeding. They are available in 9mm, 40 S&W and 45 ACP. I saw a test where the 45 ACP expanded to .700 in ballistic gelatin. That is a BIG hole! It seems like they could really be beneficial to the mouse guns that can be picky feeders.

If you have to carry hard ball ammo, EFMJ appears to be the way to go if it's available in your caliber.

Rob72

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When I watch shows like "First 48" it seems like the thugs are using FMJ.

Skipped most of the intervening, but from experience, FMJ makes lots of holes that are distracting but survivable. Deaths from gang shootings are generally a mag dump at fairly close range.

Bangers use ball because its cheap.

They have been known to use plastic and wood surplus training rounds, to no effect, because they're cheaper. Bangers have also been known to pay by check when purchasing such easily trackable high-volume sales...:smash:

Remember that the entire reason for FMJ was a round that enemy combatants could be hit with, and survive with minimal injury.

poopgiggle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Remember that the entire reason for FMJ was a round that enemy combatants could be hit with, and survive with minimal injury.

Stop perpetuating this myth. The switch to jacketed bullets happened when armies switched from black powder to smokeless powder; the hotter powder and higher velocities made lead bullets foul the barrel too much, hence the metal jacket. Hollow point bullets were banned by the Hague Convention because armies noticed the inferior terminal performance of FMJ and the various tricks that they tried to make them more effective (dum-dum bullets, etc) caused some moral panic. Notice how many military bullets are designed to yaw on impact to get around this prohibition.

Latest posts

Top Bottom