Does anyone carry with FMJ bullets?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What type of ammo do you use in you CCW?

• FMJ

Votes: 47 11.6%
  • JHP

Votes: 358 88.4%

• Total voters

poopgiggle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm afraid I'm going to have to carry FMJ, since my gun is notorious for having problems with JHP. :(

Wish I'd found that out before buying. :(

Check out Cor-Bon Pow'R Ball. It's a JHP with a polymer cap to give it the profile of a FMJ round. I've read that the terminal performance can be kind of dicey but it's better than JHP that jams or FMJ that doesn't expand.

Big-Tex

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I only read through page 5 so I don't know if this has been mentioned, but consider not only the size of the hole, but the effect it has on the surrounding tissue, it's not all about holes and CNS hits, a lot has to due with depositing energy. An expanding JHP that stays in the bad guy is going to deliver the full XXXft-lbs' of energy to the target, where as a FMJ is going to pass through and only create a mild shock. I shoot nosler ballistic tips in my deer rifle because they "blow up" when they hit, and I know that's comparing apples to oranges but its the principle. Even with a 9mm I'm still stuffin' in it with JHP's, and if I have a gun that wont eat them, then I'll buy a new gun.

poopgiggle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I only read through page 5 so I don't know if this has been mentioned, but consider not only the size of the hole, but the effect it has on the surrounding tissue, it's not all about holes and CNS hits, a lot has to due with depositing energy. An expanding JHP that stays in the bad guy is going to deliver the full XXXft-lbs' of energy to the target, where as a FMJ is going to pass through and only create a mild shock. I shoot nosler ballistic tips in my deer rifle because they "blow up" when they hit, and I know that's comparing apples to oranges but its the principle. Even with a 9mm I'm still stuffin' in it with JHP's, and if I have a gun that wont eat them, then I'll buy a new gun.

I read a study some time ago (I'll find it later if you want) that analyzed gunshot trauma injuries in hospitals to determine if energy transfer affected the severity of the injury. There is an effect with high power rifle bullets (like you've seen on deer), but handguns just don't have that much energy. Wounding with handgun rounds really is all about shot placement and size of the hole.

Big-Tex

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I read a study some time ago (I'll find it later if you want) that analyzed gunshot trauma injuries in hospitals to determine if energy transfer affected the severity of the injury. There is an effect with high power rifle bullets (like you've seen on deer), but handguns just don't have that much energy. Wounding with handgun rounds really is all about shot placement and size of the hole.

Surely the energy has a little to do with it, but the more I think about it I can see how the effects would be minimal. The rifles I've seen the aftermath of were in the 3000+ fps arena, where as pistols are sub 1000 fps for the most part.

poopgiggle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
why is it no one uses JHP in a .380?

People don't carry JHP in a .25 or a .32 because with a bullet that small, going that slowly, anything that expands reliably won't penetrate deeply enough and anything that penetrates deeply enough won't expand (E: Wait, this statement is redundant)

This isn't true of 380, but maybe people mistakenly think that 380 has this problem.

Zombie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
why is it no one uses JHP in a .380?

it's not nobody uses it - maybe not as common - I've had some that no matter what didn't seem to like JHP's and some that loved everything.

Besides hard enough to find ANY 380 ammo right now lol

but as far as on topic
38 special - JHP's
1911/45 acp - currently is FMJ
9mm - FMJ (no JHP's on hand for some reason)

I usually have either the 38 or 1911 on me

Latest posts

Top Bottom