Does anyone carry with FMJ bullets?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What type of ammo do you use in you CCW?

• FMJ

Votes: 47 11.6%
  • JHP

Votes: 358 88.4%

• Total voters

Danny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I prefer not to take any chances with over-penetration and use hollow points for carry in my .45.

When I was taking my CCW course way back in 1996, it was done by a couple of BAPD officers that I worked with. The range session was done South of BA on County Line Road, South of 141st (East Side of CLR). The range was nothing more than a large dirt mound and a table set up as a firing line. A few feet behind the firing line was a pole barn kind of shelter. Those not shooting were to stay back inside the barn thing. I was 30 yards behind the firing line when I was hit in the groin (only a couple inches from vital organs!!!!) by something. I looked down and there lay a .45acp FMJ bullet. Not a mark on it except for rifling. It left the gun, traveled the few yards to the target, hit something in the berm, and richoched (sp?) back the 30 plus yards and hit me. (I used to tell this story in my hunter ed classes about being shot with a .45 :D ). It could have easily hit an eye, or some other part that might have allowed some penetration. Stiff blue jeans and touch crotch! :D

Anyway, I just don't want to take a chance by carrying FMJ ammo in anything larger than a .380.

trbii

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The instructors teaching the Urban Rifle/Tactical Carbine class that I completed last weekend made a comparison between the muzzle energy of a 9MM bullet fired out of a 16" barrel carbine, and a .223/5.56MM bullet fired out of a 16" carbine barrel. 9MM's ME-354ft-lbs. versus .223's ME-1200+ft-lbs. They repeated cautions about depending on pistol bullets to stop BG's that I've heard from all other self-defense/combat style shooting instructors. They say pistols don't work, we're looking for something better. I take this in the spirit of 'we carry pistols because they're more convenient, more concealable, they would best be used to fight your way to your carbine/rifle/shotgun.' The wounding ability, stopping ability seems to hinge more on your ability to get hits on vital organs and whether your experience/training/attitude allows you know when to keep shooting, keep covering, keep assessing. Learn about the OODA loop.

ripnbst

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For me its seasonal. I voted JHP since that's the flavor 9-10 months out of the year. JHP when people shouldn't be wearing thick jackets. FMJ when I expect people to be more heavily clothed.

I've read that lots of HP rounds get the tip clogged up with material from thick jackets and have trouble expanding so they are effectively FMJ's anyway. I'd rather have them feeding in the gun as FMJ's if that's the performance I'm gonna get anyhow.

.45ACp in a 4.25" barrel 1911 style gun btw.

Latest posts

Top Bottom