Does anyone else on the board not like 1911's?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Personal preference for me. 1911 all the way.
Tupperware need not apply.
Actually I've shot glocks too. Good shooters.
Just prefer the feel of steel in my hands.

bettingpython

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
...I see a few posters here said that they used to carry a 1911 but went with the Glock because of the higher capacity issue. Let me echo the words from the grandaddy of the 1911, Col. Jeff Cooper (RIP).

"If you as an armed civilian need more than 6 or 7 rounds to stop a threat...you've lost already."...

"Bullets don't work, you have to keep shooting till you find one that does."

Come on olyeller tell me who says that!

That being said I carry a 1911, my wife does as well when she has the capacity to carry one otherwise she has an LCP to tuck under her shirt or drop in her pocket.

I also own an XD9 and carry it occasionally as well, I like the capacity and when cooler weather gets here will transition back to carrying it over the 1911 which just hides better, not a big fan of the glocks, of course I have never owned or extensively shot one so since I have joined the polymer generation I may have to pick one up to try one.

Gideon

Formerly SirROFL
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm not into the generational wars. The whole polymer-vs-steel thing annoys me. I'd love to have multiple of both.

"Can't beat a Glock!"
Yes I can, with almost any gun, ever. Skill is just as important as hardware.

"They just don't make 'em like they used to!"
Yeah, they make 'em half as heavy and 5 times stronger.

SBD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
:popcorn: Wow this has been fun to watch! I have shot 1911's. Very sexy firearm when modded right. However, not that anyone cares, here goes - again.

1) 1911's are too expensive to mod.
2) Combat type 1911s are sloppy and not the most accurate - that is by design. If your gun is fit too tight a little grit with stop it from doing it's job. Not so with a mil-spec weapon and truth is most folks can't carry a mil-spec cause it's to hard to hide.
3 or 1a) The 45 vs 9mm debate is stupid. Center mass is very effective with either. Accuracy is as important as round size. While 1911 pattern pistols are available in multiple calibers the off-cal versions are more expensive and fewer mod parts are available or inexpensive.
4) A well finished 1911 is not something that I would want to just hand over to the DA while they decide whether or not to give it back. Too large an investment.
5) I have owned many pistols that would shoot as well or better than any 1911 I have used or owned. Most of those were far less expensive than a well appointed 1911. Yeah I had a Lama (sp?). Wasn't a tack driver but I used it to hammer a nail once.

Now for something to try and restart the entertainment:

I strongly dislike Grock. They don't fit my had and the grip angle is not natural. Too expensive for what you get. I like steel but have had a couple of polymers that I liked...none were Grock.

The SIGs are great mil-spec types. But that darn huge trigger it an annoyance. Not tack drivers - least not the few I have had the misfortune of shooting. Too expensive for what you get and limited mods.

Smith - I am still mad at them over that not selling to the public thing. Plus I have a beef with them over a metal fatigue cracked top strap and a couple of really crappy autos.

Taurus makes great wheel guns. Big fan of the 44mag but their autos are sloppy.

Baretta - CRAP. The so called "venerable" 92F is another mil-spec rattler that you can't hide. I have fired several and each time put them down with and old TZ-75 (FIE import - old and only $200 bucks when I bought it new).
Even got to shoot one of the commemorative 92s that had supposedly been fit by hand. Not something I would trust my life too.

CZs and high quality clones. Shoot and function just fine right out of the box. Mods are cheap. Had a race gun in a Witness model. Best and most reliable weapon I had at the time. Wish I had never traded it.

Taurus wheel guns. Yeah they are Smith clones but at least they are not directly Smith.

Ruger. Ruger makes some good stuff. I like their wheel guns most. Their autos are a little sloppy but again for their purpose they are reasonably reliable and are not very expensive.

Springfield. Now before you start I am not talking about their 1911s. I like the XD and liked the CZ clone they made (not made anymore and can't for life of remember what it was called - I do recall that I had to replace the firing ping in it).

I sure there are others that I can't recall. Been shooting for a lot of years and reloading for a good portion of that.

Now - FLAME ON!

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I certainly am not, as I don't perceive $2,250 more reliability in that thing versus my used XD or $2,000 more than a new Glock- nothing against that fine weapon particularly.

If we are talking future collectibility, I don't see $1,600 more over a new Colt Gold Cup. But that's just me.

And as much I as have objectively championed my XD and other polymer pistols for carry practicality, I am thiiiiis close to buying a Gold Cup, just for the hell of it!

If you ever watched The Wire, you should recognize who this is:

afarm5.static.flickr.com_4110_4837762915_a55dd7eeb2.png

I broke down today. I didn't end up with a Gold Cup, but I did by a brand new Colt Series 70 Government reproduction, blued.

Latest posts

Top Bottom