Does anyone else on the board not like 1911's?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
the CZ clone they made (not made anymore and can't for life of remember what it was called - I do recall that I had to replace the firing ping in it).

The P9 was awesome! It was a Tanfoglio, imported by Springfield (much like the EAA pistols are today)

[Broken External Image]

HMCS(FMF)Ret.

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I remember the first 1911 I shot. I believe it was a Colt (when I first started in the military). I could throw the gun more accurately than I could shoot it (no joke).

After all these years I broke down and bought my first 1911 a week ago, a Springfield TRP. Wow!!! Gotta say I love this gun!!! Now I can't understand how any gun fan wouldn't love the 1911. :anyone:

Blitzkrieg

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have to admit, that I as well don't care to much about 1911's. Now, with that said I am first to admit that yes the 1911 has forged it's way through American history and is one of the most popular pistols of all time. I have never fired one that "felt" right. That's just my personal opinion, I do admit that even though I personally don't care to shoot one, the 1911 is one of the best all around pistols.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I remember the first 1911 I shot. I believe it was a Colt (when I first started in the military). I could throw the gun more accurately than I could shoot it (no joke).

After all these years I broke down and bought my first 1911 a week ago, a Springfield TRP. Wow!!! Gotta say I love this gun!!! Now I can't understand how any gun fan wouldn't love the 1911. :anyone:

Those that you shot in the Navy, were very much the same as the one's I shot while in the Army. You have to remember that all the 1911's the military had on hand were built prior to the end of WWII. The US military(Except for a few of the SpecOp units) did not purchase any 1911A1's after 1945. All they did was replace parts as needed. So all the ones we shot or carried were of WWII vintage. The last one I carried before getting an M9 was a USS slide and frame 1911A1. When it was issued to me I had to have our armorer file out the magazine well, as some one had used the butt of the pistol as a hammer. It was so dinged up you couldn't insert a magazine, plus it needed a new barrel, cause there was no evidence of rifling 3/4 of the way up from the chamber. The gun was completely in the white as almost all of the parkerized finish was gone. Last time I saw her was in 1984.

Traxxis

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Those that you shot in the Navy, were very much the same as the one's I shot while in the Army. You have to remember that all the 1911's the military had on hand were built prior to the end of WWII. The US military(Except for a few of the SpecOp units) did not purchase any 1911A1's after 1945. All they did was replace parts as needed. So all the ones we shot or carried were of WWII vintage. The last one I carried before getting an M9 was a USS slide and frame 1911A1. When it was issued to me I had to have our armorer file out the magazine well, as some one had used the butt of the pistol as a hammer. It was so dinged up you couldn't insert a magazine, plus it needed a new barrel, cause there was no evidence of rifling 3/4 of the way up from the chamber. The gun was completely in the white as almost all of the parkerized finish was gone. Last time I saw her was in 1984.

Love the story. :)

Can't believe it was an old USS though! Those things are pretty rare.

SBD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The P9 was awesome! It was a Tanfoglio, imported by Springfield (much like the EAA pistols are today)

[Broken External Image]

Thank you. I was too lazy to go look. That's it but mine wasn't all shiny. It was the standard parkerized (I think) version. I miss it partly cause it said Springfield on it, partly cause it was a very well built CZ clone and partly cause it shot so darn well. I shoulda built a race gun out of it. EAA's witness line is very good quality but it's important to note that they are adding mods that aren't fully compatible with the CZ line. Noticed on a recent one that the barrel lugs were not located in the same place on similar models. Also the safety plunger (not sure if that is what it is called) on the slide works opposite between the two.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

That's impossible. 1911s were never really used in service, so there's no possible way a barrel could be worn out. :D :D :D

Latest posts

Top Bottom