Does anyone else on the board not like 1911's?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Love the story. :)

Can't believe it was an old USS though! Those things are pretty rare.

I know there were others, but it was the only one in our arms room. We had bunches of Ithaca's, Savage's, Colt's, Remington-Rands, There were even a few 1911's that had the upgrades for an A1.

Traxxis

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know there were others, but it was the only one in our arms room. We had bunches of Ithaca's, Savage's, Colt's, Remington-Rands, There were even a few 1911's that had the upgrades for an A1.

Really? I would have thought 99% of them would have been A1's... or at least have the A1 scallops behind the trigger?

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Really? I would have thought 99% of them would have been A1's... or at least have the A1 scallops behind the trigger?

We probably had three or four that were not scalloped. All military 1911's that were pre-A1's only had the longer grip safety added, and the shortened trigger. Some still had the older wide hammer.

TonyT

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I shoot 1911's in 9mm, 40 S&W and 45 ACP in the usual pistol games. For serious defensive purposes I opt for a striker fired pistol without any external hammer, slide or grip safeties - Iwant to concentrate on target acquisition.

HMCS(FMF)Ret.

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Those that you shot in the Navy, were very much the same as the one's I shot while in the Army. You have to remember that all the 1911's the military had on hand were built prior to the end of WWII. The US military(Except for a few of the SpecOp units) did not purchase any 1911A1's after 1945. All they did was replace parts as needed. So all the ones we shot or carried were of WWII vintage. The last one I carried before getting an M9 was a USS slide and frame 1911A1. When it was issued to me I had to have our armorer file out the magazine well, as some one had used the butt of the pistol as a hammer. It was so dinged up you couldn't insert a magazine, plus it needed a new barrel, cause there was no evidence of rifling 3/4 of the way up from the chamber. The gun was completely in the white as almost all of the parkerized finish was gone. Last time I saw her was in 1984.

That's funny, I was told they were WWII era guns, but I thought that was just talk. They definitely shot like trash.

Latest posts

Top Bottom