Does Oklahoma law requires handguns be carried in a holster?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is from the current SDA and defines legal open carry. The changes for constitutional carry do not affect this.
SO HANGING A HANDGUN ON YOUR CLOTHING IS NOT LEGAL OPEN CARRY IN OK.
Showing a student this section of the SDA should be a complete answer to the question. OK, Kurt?

https://osbi.ok.gov/sites/g/files/gmc476/f/documents/2018_SDA_Law_Book_11012018.pdf

TITLE 21 § 1290.2 DEFINITIONS
A. As used in the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act:
1. “Concealed handgun” means a loaded or unloaded pistol or handgun not openly visible to the ordinary observation of a reasonable person;
2. “Unconcealed handgun” or "open carry" means a loaded or unloaded pistol or handgun carried upon the person in a holster where the firearm is visible, or carried upon the person using a scabbard, sling or case designed for carrying firearms; and
3. “Pistol” or “handgun” means any derringer, revolver or semiautomatic firearm which:
a. has an overall barrel or barrels length of less than sixteen (16) inches,
b. is capable of discharging single or multiple projectiles from a single round of ammunition composed of any material which may reasonably be expected to be able to cause lethal injury,
c. can be held and fired by the use of one or both hands, and
d. uses a combustible propellant charge to propel the projectile or projectiles.
B. The definition of pistol or handgun for purposes of the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act shall not apply to imitation pistols, flare guns, underwater fishing guns or blank pistols.

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

I have had several people bring up Constitutional Law in SDA classes, and while I personally agree it would be ideal if that were the only gun law, the reality is the 22,000 gun laws in the US do exist, and the purpose of the OK SDA class, and the duty of the instructor, is to inform the class of the contents of the OK SDA. Toward that end, it is safer NOT to paraphrase of give personal opinions but to READ the law verbatum and SHOW the student the printed law. If the student wants more, all I can suggest is that they consult a qualified attorney and seek his/her advice. The attorney can advise the probable consequences of violating state law, and the individual can make informed choices.

Mad Professor

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have had several people bring up Constitutional Law in SDA classes, and while I personally agree it would be ideal if that were the only gun law, the reality is the 22,000 gun laws in the US do exist, and the purpose of the OK SDA class, and the duty of the instructor, is to inform the class of the contents of the OK SDA. Toward that end, it is safer NOT to paraphrase of give personal opinions but to READ the law verbatum and SHOW the student the printed law. If the student wants more, all I can suggest is that they consult a qualified attorney and seek his/her advice. The attorney can advise the probable consequences of violating state law, and the individual can make informed choices.

Exactly

Catt57

Gill-Gun Guru
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This is from the current SDA and defines legal open carry. The changes for constitutional carry do not affect this.
SO HANGING A HANDGUN ON YOUR CLOTHING IS NOT LEGAL OPEN CARRY IN OK.
Showing a student this section of the SDA should be a complete answer to the question. OK, Kurt?

https://osbi.ok.gov/sites/g/files/gmc476/f/documents/2018_SDA_Law_Book_11012018.pdf

TITLE 21 § 1290.2 DEFINITIONS
A. As used in the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act:
1. “Concealed handgun” means a loaded or unloaded pistol or handgun not openly visible to the ordinary observation of a reasonable person;
2. “Unconcealed handgun” or "open carry" means a loaded or unloaded pistol or handgun carried upon the person in a holster where the firearm is visible, or carried upon the person using a scabbard, sling or case designed for carrying firearms; and
3. “Pistol” or “handgun” means any derringer, revolver or semiautomatic firearm which:
a. has an overall barrel or barrels length of less than sixteen (16) inches,
b. is capable of discharging single or multiple projectiles from a single round of ammunition composed of any material which may reasonably be expected to be able to cause lethal injury,
c. can be held and fired by the use of one or both hands, and
d. uses a combustible propellant charge to propel the projectile or projectiles.
B. The definition of pistol or handgun for purposes of the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act shall not apply to imitation pistols, flare guns, underwater fishing guns or blank pistols.

So if I read this right. If it is "concealed" in a pocket, no holster is needed?

KurtM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
For open carry....got it! I got this as a blanket statement from an L.E.O. that it had to be in a holster, period, no matter open or concealed. I knew about the open restrictions, just had never heard it was applied to concealed, which as I suspected, it wasn't! Thanks guys!
B.T.W. the fun stick and jumblies are not in any danger!

OKNewshawk

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So if I read this right. If it is "concealed" in a pocket, no holster is needed?
No holster is needed, but I would strongly suggest that you get a properly designed pocket holster. It reduces the propensity of the gun to collect pocket lint and makes drawing the gun from your pocket easier if/when you need to deploy it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom