Dog Question-Help!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kroberts2131

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a 7 month old baby who we think may have allergies. Our dr has suggested that we consider getting rid of our dog because he could be the cause of it. I know its selfish of me but I can't stand the thought of even getting rid of my dog. :cry11: I will if I have to but I want to exhaust every option before.

Have any of you been in this boat before? I know we have some vets on here too if you wouldn't mind giving me some advice also. I'm sure were not the first family who has had this problem before.

Zombie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
try moving the dog to an outside only dog first. vacuum daily at a minimum and check all your air filters. I would replace all of the air filters, and look at maybe even another air filter to make sure all allergens get filtered out.

If it persists you know it's not the dog...if it goes away you could gradually re introduce the dog to verify but you would know most likely it is the dog.

kroberts2131

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well making him an outside really isn't an option right now. He is spoiled rotten and he never is outside alone. Plus I have rigged my fence every way I know off and he still sneaks out. He knows to stay in the yard but still he's friendly and liable to get stolen or chase a cat and get hit. We are gonna have the carpets cleaned this weekend and i'll change the filters tonight. Hadn't thought about that one. this really just ruins my day

bratch

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sounds like the dog was there first I'd get rid of the kid... ;)

In all seriousness could you segregate the dog to a portion of the house away from the kid. My MIL has bad allergies so they kept their dog in the kitchen/dining room. It kept the hair,etc off of the furniture and out of the carpets helping with the allergies. They put up one of the fence gates across the doorway to keep him in the kitchen.

Another option would be to turn the garage into a giant dog house. Still inside and easy to get to but out of the house and away from the kid.

spamby

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Lots and lots of bathes. At least one a week.(for the dogs) I got allergies for my dogs and I replaced the carpet with tile. I did it myself so it wasn't that expensive. I take zertec every day and I'm fine.

:drink:

badrinker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As a veterinarian, I hear pediatricians give that advice all the time, in fact, ours gave us that advice when my oldest was diagnosed with "restrictive airway disease". He got over it, we still have the dog and cat.
Pediatricians are just playing CYA. While dog allergies DO occur, they do not top the list. Obviously your child comes first.

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Every time I get tested for allergies, the cat and dog pricks react the fastest and the worst...

...I have ZERO problems around dogs and cats... and I'm around a dog and two cats everyday.

71buickfreak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Babies also tend to grow out of the Pet allergy" anyway. IF it is the dog, sweeping daily and using high-quality filters will reduce the dander that causes the allergy in the first place. Not sure how often you groom the the dog, but that will make a HUGE difference in the dander left around the house. By grooming, I am talking about brushing every couple of days and a bi-weekly (or monthly) shampoo. That should make a big difference.

kroberts2131

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well I think were gonna give the grooming and new air filters a try. He also sleeps next to her crib (kinda protective, hes a boxer) so I think if we stop that it will also help. Thanks for you guys help.

Latest posts

Top Bottom