Don't want to lose my range...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slas

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I moved my family outside of town about a year ago and one of the main reasons was to be able to shoot in the field behind my house. My buddy's step mother owns it and has a house next to it and was OK with me going out there from time to time and using it as a range. I can get 200 yards if I get to the corner, near her house. Now that I've been shooting about once a week there she's started telling my buddy that the shooting is stressing out her dog really bad. I went and bought her a gift card from the salon and a thank you card letting her know how much I appreciated it. I went and shot about 40 rounds yesterday at 200 yards, closer to her house, and got a call today. She asked me if I was going to be shooting today because if I was she was going to take her dog somewhere else, like she did yesterday. Made me feel pretty bad that she now feels like she has to leave her house when I go to shoot. It's her land and she could easily just tell me I can't do it, but she's being nice about it.

I can work towards getting my barrels threaded and buying a suppressor but I know how long that takes. Maybe they'll pass the law so suppressors will be easier to obtain. Until then not sure what my options are but don't think she's going to be so understanding forever. I don't think she'll go for doggie valiums either........any ideas?

D. Hargrove

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
IMHO only. If she is allowing you to shoot and she takes her dog away when you do, then she obviously respects your friendship with her step son very much. In turn, I would return that respect by simply not shooting long range on her land. If there is a place to satisfy your handgun itch without driving the dog nuts, then go for it. If there is any issue with her or her animals, then just pause until you develop a solution. As you stated maybe suppressed weapons, or even shooting elsewhere. Not what ya wanna hear, but then again.....

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yep. If she's having to go out of her way because of her dog, I'd say you should cease and desist from shooting near her house. Ask her if the dog freaks out when you shoot on other parts of the property; if so, find another place to shoot. Sure, it's mighty nice to have such a convenient spot to shoot, but is it worth your friendship?

Disclaimer: I'm a dog lover through and through ;)

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Do you have the option of building a shooting hut to redirect the noise? Would be more noise for you but may save your shooting spot.

slas

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
How often is it we see someone on here looking for a place to shoot and asking others where they might be able to go to shoot at 100/200 yards. Every time I see one I think about how lucky I am to have a place, basically in my back yard. You're right, the answer to not shoot isn't one I wanted to hear. My mom, where I can shoot also, lives close to an hour away and her dog does the same thing....I guess I'm just kind of screwed......

slas

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Do you have the option of building a shooting hut to redirect the noise? Would be more noise for you but may save your shooting spot.
Might be an idea for me to look into. If there some kind of block from the sound. Not sure it would be that much worse for me with plugs and muffs on...Something with wheels that I pull out there with the lawn mower would be nice.

slas

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Outdoor noise reduction blanket:
www.enoisecontrol.com_wp_content_uploads_2014_05_Outdoor_sound_curtain_near_blower_300x225.jpg

Might be worth looking into.

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Harbor freight has those small trailers for pretty cheap, build a shooting box on it and add a couple of leveling jacks to keep it from tilting..... paint it camo so you can do dual purpose and hunt out of it !!!

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well a 55 gal barrel would work the same as that tin-horn and 3/8th plywood for the walls would cut way down on the price. would just have to keep the paint fresh to keep out water. Built a hunting box about 15 years ago that is still in use.

Latest posts

Top Bottom