Dope cards and variables

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
In my recent pursuit of improving my long range shooting I’ve made up some dope cards and figured up my trajectories for my hunting rifles. I’ve noticed that most ballistics calculators do not take into consideration the barrel length. Does barrel length make a big enough difference with trajectory to figure out how to take that into account?

I’ve also noticed that companies advertise superior bullet designs etc, but when punching in ballistic calculations between say federal terminal ascent 308 cal 175gr “fancy hunting bullets” and 308cal 175gr m118lr smk loads the trajectories are very, very similar. Is it worth making up dope cards for similar weighted bullets in the same caliber? These charts show similar performance... is real world performance similar? I’m looking at shooting sub 750yd ranges.

PBramble

Let's Eat
Special Hen
Reaction score
For bullets of the same weight and similar profile, the trajectories will be close enough that you won't be able to see much difference. Any difference you find will likley be 600 and out.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
For bullets of the same weight and similar profile, the trajectories will be close enough that you won't be able to see much difference. Any difference you find will likley be 600 and out.
With that in mind, hunting a feral hog sized target, I should be able to use the same dope chart for similarly weighed bullets; right? My furthest target in the area I’m looking at is 500 yards.

magna19

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In my recent pursuit of improving my long range shooting I’ve made up some dope cards and figured up my trajectories for my hunting rifles. I’ve noticed that most ballistics calculators do not take into consideration the barrel length. Does barrel length make a big enough difference with trajectory to figure out how to take that into account?

I’ve also noticed that companies advertise superior bullet designs etc, but when punching in ballistic calculations between say federal terminal ascent 308 cal 175gr “fancy hunting bullets” and 308cal 175gr m118lr smk loads the trajectories are very, very similar. Is it worth making up dope cards for similar weighted bullets in the same caliber? These charts show similar performance... is real world performance similar? I’m looking at shooting sub 750yd ranges.
I dont think a bullet at 3000 fps knows whether it came from a 20"or 26" barrel. Starting velocity is all the calculator needs for each bullet profile.

Timmy59

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I saw your scope want and was gonna suggest but didn't.. These were on sale for $199 until recently.. PAs reticle are the f'ing BOMB.. There are a few different ones and they are chock full of intel without dope.. When a 13 yo girl can bang plates at 150 with a STURDY wind and .22lr that says a lot.. ACSS, advanced combined shooting system, the newest tech in reticle design.. Love'em.. Run thru their page and check out the reticles available..
https://www.primaryarms.com/primary-arms-4-14x44mm-riflescope-acss-hud-dmr-308-223-reticle

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
I dont think a bullet at 3000 fps knows whether it came from a 20"or 26" barrel. Starting velocity is all the calculator needs for each bullet profile.
This is a great point, but how do manufacturers measure velocity for the box/specs? Does it really matter that much? With a 308 rifle it should lose an average of 25fps per inch of barrel lost from 26” to 16.5”. What barrel length do manufacturers calculate velocity for?

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ive started using this and it's actually a well written set of variables that you have to verify. You can use all the programs you want, but without verification at distance, you really don't know. This puts you in the ballpark fast and is easily verifiable with similar ammo.
https://precisionrifletraining.net/snipers-hide-patch/
Thanks I’ll have to look into it!

I saw your scope want and was gonna suggest but didn't.. These were on sale for $199 until recently.. PAs reticle are the f'ing BOMB.. There are a few different ones and they are chock full of intel without dope.. When a 13 yo girl can bang plates at 150 with a STURDY wind and .22lr that says a lot.. ACSS, advanced combined shooting system, the newest tech in reticle design.. Love'em.. Run thru their page and check out the reticles available..
https://www.primaryarms.com/primary-arms-4-14x44mm-riflescope-acss-hud-dmr-308-223-reticle
I appreciate it, and will def have to keep it in mind. I’m just looking for something cheap for my budget223 varmint bolt gun. I already have the glass I want for my 308.

Latest posts

Top Bottom