Double Tap Training....?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheLastDaze

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Couple weeks ago I was at the range and shot around 300 9mm and 100 40sw, toward the end of my session I did some double tap training with a couple mags.. more of a point and shoot at 7' two to the chest and two to the head...

Tuesday I went to the range and made it a point to incorporate this in my session.. I put up a new silhouette around 7' away and double tapped away, pausing after every 4 shots to view the target groups... I went through a couple targets, a handful of stickers and 100rds doing this, my groups got surprisingly tighter....

Some reason or another I've never practiced this before and think from now on its mandatory....

anyone practice double tap point and shoot type scenario??

Last edited:

Boehlertaught

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Neat isn't it. I've had similar results on the 8" round knockdown plate rack. I enjoyed it so much I bought two plate racks for myself. Keep up the practice. It's fun and it really pays off.

TheLastDaze

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yes its really fun.. moved out here from the country where I had a range and it seems I shoot more now than I did then... then again I'm reloading now.. ;)

uncle money bags

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I fire aimed shots, no tapping.

A sight picture for every shot. Can be slower, but necessary if you believe every round sent is accountable to the shooter.
Also, i would suggest practicing with other round counts. Concentrating on ones and twos can lead to under servicing a bad guy by ingraining that number in your sub conscience.
One way to tell if this is happening is you will catch yourself checking out your groups after every iteration of "tapping" instead of a good follow through and cover.

TheLastDaze

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Try some bill drills ... there's all kinds of stuff you can do to improve your shooting ... that's also a lot of fun ...

will do!! Starting shooting again more then I have for the last couple years, so I have much to catch up on..

I fire aimed shots, no tapping.

I'll have to work on that...

A sight picture for every shot. Can be slower, but necessary if you believe every round sent is accountable to the shooter.

agreed.. but at 7' from muzzle I can hit my target everytime.. I'm not the greatest shooter to begin with and just started up again a few months ago, years ago I used to practice drawing from holster, point-and-shoot in the mirror with a sticker placed at head level, you draw your pistol to sticker as fast and safely as you can, its surprising to see how far off you are at first but in time you will find your target everytime..

uncle money bags

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If it works for you, then rock on. However, i would say that if you are able to hit your target every time using this method then either the target is not challenging enough or you should be shooting faster. Kind of like rock climbing, your not reaching your potential until you have a couple of falls.
If, for instance, we are talking about getting COM hits on a torso at seven feet then the situation is much different then hitting a hostage takers dome at twenty feet.
Are there situations where the distance and target size dictates non aimed engagement while keeping the weapon in a retention position? Heck yeah! I didnt think that was what you were talking about in your op though.

Latest posts

Top Bottom