DPMS LR-308 Oracle first impressions\range report

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Cheap mounts were the theme of the day. I went back out to RCGC and played around with the .308 some more but on the silhouette range. With some dinking around I knocked down a couple of the 500 yd pigs though it took me a few rounds to figure out where I was hitting. Then I noticed my $65 scope on its $25 mount was rattling around and decided not to waste anymore ammo on that scenario. So yeah, better optics and mounts have to come next.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you like the M1A Super Match, try the SOCOM 16 instead of the AR-10. Why take a step backwards?

Sorry if you got the perception I was looking around for other .308 platforms - if I were to go tactical, I'd probably try an AR-10. In the M1A world, I prefer the "classical" style, and my next M1A will be built up from the Grade A parts kit I got from the CMP some time ago. All the parts except for the receiver will be USGI (mostly SA) including the stock, barrel, and bolt. The tactical M1A's just don't appeal to me - to each his or her own :)

mightymouse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sorry if you got the perception I was looking around for other .308 platforms - if I were to go tactical, I'd probably try an AR-10. In the M1A world, I prefer the "classical" style, and my next M1A will be built up from the Grade A parts kit I got from the CMP some time ago. All the parts except for the receiver will be USGI (mostly SA) including the stock, barrel, and bolt. The tactical M1A's just don't appeal to me - to each his or her own :)
No worries. I just got back from putting 60 rounds down range thru my SOCOM 16 and it is a wonderful rifle! (I would have put 160 rds down range except ammo is so expensive for these beasts!). The tactical part appeals to me less than the handling qualities of the 16 inch barrel (in fact, I want to put a std M1A handguard on mine and remove the barrel-mounted rail). The gun is just such a quick handling rifle with the short barrel! (It is just a shade shorter than my Mini-14). I just like a traditional stock better than the pistol-gripped variety, again for the better handling qualities of the former.

gmar

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You might look at the Vortex line of scopes. I've got a Viper PST, and it's an excellent one though I have yet to even mount it on a rifle.

I'm running a Vortex Viper PST on my .308 AR and I love it. If you're ever in the OKC area and want to check it out, let me know. I bought my through Dubs Chops on here during a group buy. You might want to contact him to see if he can hook you up. I'm using it on an ADM QD mount and don't have any issues with it staying zeroed.

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've been thinking about getting a DPMS pattern .308 to replace my M1A in the main battle rifle role... I have my eye on the Bushmaster MOE .308. I would probably switch out the 16" heavy profile CL barrel for a Criterion 18.5" light profile CL one. Then I would like to put together a .260 Rem semi auto sniper type upper for it as well, to complement my ongoing .260 Rem bolt action build.

I like my M1A a lot, but I really like how I can completely build an AR pattern rifle from parts with tools I have in my garage, with barrel swaps and all. Headspacing and lapping the bolt lugs on an M1A is not so easy. And then there is the accuracy advantage, ease of mounting optics, modularity... the advantages are pretty hard to ignore.

mightymouse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've been thinking about getting a DPMS pattern .308 to replace my M1A in the main battle rifle role...

I like my M1A a lot, but I really like how I can completely build an AR pattern rifle from parts with tools I have in my garage, with barrel swaps and all. Headspacing and lapping the bolt lugs on an M1A is not so easy. And then there is the accuracy advantage, ease of mounting optics, modularity... the advantages are pretty hard to ignore.
Some folks hate him, but James Yeager has said that he has NEVER seen a .308 AR complete one of his rifle courses. The M1A has one major advantage over the AR-10--it is reliable. Little else really matters in a battle rifle.

Driller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Okiedukk, I've got two LR308's and had similar results with factory ammo. With tailored reloads, the 16" barrel got down to 1 MOA. With reloads, I got the 24" down to 1/2 MOA - 41.5 grains Varget, 168 grain Hornady Amax. You might try a little heavier bullet.

Latest posts

Top Bottom