dpms panther lite 16

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Get an AK - its better (now there are 3 debates!)

In all seriousness - if you're not pushing the "its just as good" argument, there usually isn't anything to fight about.

If you're asking for a recommendation on a good rifle, it gets into that same sort of debate depending on what you consider good, but if (and I'm assuming this from the "cheapest priced ar" comment) you're looking for a budget rifle to shoot deer with, then I'd look at a Stag with a sharper barrel twist (and Chrome-lined) and shoot the 68gr or 75gr stuff and be happy.

It will probably cost about the same as a DPMS depending on where you buy (plus - its got a picture of a deer right on the side of the receiver).

trbii

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've owned and competed with a Colt, Bushmaster and finally a Rock River Arms. All of them "DCM" service rifle type configurations. Liked the Rock River best, but did not get any noticeably better accuracy than the Bushmaster. They both would group twice as tight as the Colt HBAR ever would and stabilize the heavier 69-77 grain bullets. You might want to eyeball Rock River Arms website. Their flattop varmint rifles might be just what your looking for. Good luck.

gillman7

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Remember DPMS is not considered to be a top tier manufacturer, they will tell you the same. However you are not wanting to join the SWAT team, just have a dependable rifle. The Lite is the low end of a entry level manufacturer, I would advise against it.

I would concur with EZ on this one. I would look at a Stag, or RRA. I believe the Stag is within $100 or $200 of what you are looking to pay for a DPMS Lite, and you will be happier in the long run.

DeadEyeDick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
well, my plan just went to crap. my plan was to get an ar chambered for 223 with an osprey rangefinding scope that is calibrated for a a 55gr round. but after thinking about it and researching it, a 55gr round would need a perfect situation to take down a deer. now, i dont know what to do. maybe a 55gr ballistic tip?

Spooln-Rex

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i bought an A3 lite from mark earlier this year. havent had any issues and ran quite a few different brands of ammo thru it. also the comment about it being the low end i dont believe is true, Reason being they use all the same main components as all the other models. such as bcg, lower parts like the trigger and hammer, buffer and evrything else. the model your talkin about doesnt have the forward assist or dust cover but are those items that are needed, well not in my opinion the ammo thats availabe now is alot better than the ammo that was used when the need for a forward assist came to be. in all honesty for what you want to do i think its a good budget choice. sure you dont get the quad rail and other stuff that other manufactures offer but if you ever want it later on it can be added or you can just build a seperate upper to slap on your lower receiver and your good to go. hope this helps!!

Latest posts

Top Bottom