dpms panther lite 16

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KurtM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think a lot of people would be very surprised as to who buy,s DPMS "blanks" and re-marks them. I am willing to bet that if you removed all the markings from a DPMS rifle and all the markings from a super cool XYZ builder, then anodized each of them at the same place no-one could tell the difference. I think a lot of folks would be real surprised at who buys blanks from Cerro, Anchor Harvey,Mueller Brass...etc. and mills them and badged them as their own. There are darn few builders that make all parts in house and most of the smaller "high end" builders don't own their own forge, nor the milling machines that produce a completed upper/lower.

This debate is kind of like saying that the polymer in the grip of an SVI pistol is far superior to the polymer in the grip of an STI pistol. KurtM

Teeeroy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Teeroy is that the magpul Miad grip? if so how do you like it i have really been thinking about getting one. kinda torn between it and the CAA version.

It is a MIAD with the integrated enhanced trigger guard. I used to have a CAA, but not the one with replaceable panels.

I like it...but I like just about any grip with a fuller backstrap. Backstrap...I'm starting to sound like Uncle Ted. LOL

Slack One

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Along the same lines...if I duck tape a ton of Harley parts together, I haven't built a Harley. Materials don't really matter without workmanship.

I'm personally glad to have guys like Josh around. While a lot of us have had experience with an example or two of a certain gun, having guys that have seen a *lot* of the same firearm pass through their hands gives a much better perspective, imho.

[flammable] Of course, this discussion is all about poodle-shooting crap-where-they-eat jammamatic Man-Barbie Airsoft-looking mall ninja rifles, so it's kind of irrelevant anyway. [/flammable]

Josh-L

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think a lot of people would be very surprised as to who buy,s DPMS "blanks" and re-marks them. I am willing to bet that if you removed all the markings from a DPMS rifle and all the markings from a super cool XYZ builder, then anodized each of them at the same place no-one could tell the difference. I think a lot of folks would be real surprised at who buys blanks from Cerro, Anchor Harvey,Mueller Brass...etc. and mills them and badged them as their own. There are darn few builders that make all parts in house and most of the smaller "high end" builders don't own their own forge, nor the milling machines that produce a completed upper/lower.

This debate is kind of like saying that the polymer in the grip of an SVI pistol is far superior to the polymer in the grip of an STI pistol. KurtM

I agree with you Kurt. I am not arguing any of those points. Even if they come from the same place though doesn't mean they are of equal quality. Barrels bolt groups and assembly is more important to me then what forgings were used for the upper/lower. My main issue with this board are the "just as good as" crowd and those that say just because they have gone to the range twice and shot a few boxes of ammo means they have an understanding of the product and the ones that are incapable of making any type of coherent post and resort to name calling or only posting "emotes".

PS... I would hope if someone was handed a Sabre Defense M4 for example and a DPMS Sportical M4 they'd be able to tell the difference.

jcbarlow

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree with you Kurt. I am not arguing any of those points. Even if they come from the same place though doesn't mean they are of equal quality. Barrels bolt groups and assembly is more important to me then what forgings were used for the upper/lower. My main issue with this board are the "just as good as" crowd and those that say just because they have gone to the range twice and shot a few boxes of ammo means they have an understanding of the product and the ones that are incapable of making any type of coherent post and resort to name calling or only posting "emotes".

Let me explain how this and some previous topics that you have posted in have came across to me. It seems to me like you are saying that DPMS rifles are all complete s**t. If this is not your intentions or I misunderstood you then by all means let me know. I know, and am not arguing one bit that there are ARs out there with much higher quality parts. My thinking is for the avearge joe, this is a good gun.

Josh-L

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My thinking is for the avearge joe, this is a good gun.

Which is what I have said a gazzillion frikkin times on here but everyone chooses to skip over that part. Go back and read post #36 and let me know if you are still confused.

KurtM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Any Monkey can assemble a good AR. Most barrels are better than the guy shooting them. Bolts, carriers and extentions...now you are talking!

"High End" doesn't always mean best either. I got a whole slew (more than a few) Leitner Wise bolts that were so tight in the bolt face that it would cause so much friction between case head and bolt face that there were numerous failures to eject, and just to show you how people re-badge stuff, these uber cool bolts AREN't made by Leitner at all, but by a company called Southern Guns in England, who is known for high end machining....EXCEPT all they had access to was Radway Green ammo which to spec. and it has has a rather "small" case head.

BTW I once saw an AR-15 shot, but it was fired 1 more box than a few, so I thought I would just chime in here.:tounge2::blahblah::uhwhat:

KurtM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you can't see the humor in my last line ( see post #65)..."you need to get out of the real world a bit more!"

Disclaimer...this is pointed at NO-ONE in specific, I just love to have fun with some of this!

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you can't see the humor in my last line ( see post #65)..."you need to get out of the real world a bit more!"

Disclaimer...this is pointed at NO-ONE in specific, I just love to have fun with some of this!

Same for me. I'm on some motorcycle forums where guys argue for days about wheel bearings. It's fun to watch much as the heated debate over ARs. I'm even a little guilty of fueling the fire. :P

Latest posts

Top Bottom